Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
Scott-S

Parts of Webpages are Missing - NIS Setting?

[ Edited ]

I am setting up a new Win7 64bit PC, running IE 9.0.8112.16421 and FireFox 11.0 and NIS 19.6.2.10.

Most webpages I visit are missing some, but not all, graphics, logos, toolbars, buttons, and links.

How much is missing varies from website to website. At some websites, I will see the text in a button, but the graphic part that makes it look like a button is missing. At other websites, buttons and toolbars are missing. Sometimes hovering in the area of a toolbar allows me to activate a function, other times not. Same behavior in IE as FF.

For examples, compare attached screenshots, one showing the page with missing elements, the other is correct. 

Are there settings in NIS that might cause this? If not, any suggestion on what the cause could be?

Thanks in advance,

ScottACEscreenshot-Dell-M6600-IE9.jpg

ACE-screenshot-Dell-D520-IE8.jpg

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,854
Solutions: 779

Re: Parts of Webpages are Missing - NIS Setting?

Hi Scott-S,

I don't think that Norton would be causing this, so I would suggest concentrating your efforts on looking at browser settings first.  This is happening in both IE and Firefox?  Do the pages reload correctly if you refresh the page?  If not, does Shift+Refresh load the page correctly?

Contributor
Scott-S

Same problem in both browers, that's why I thought it might be something in common to both, NIS.  Refresh does not improve the result.  Shift+F5 doesn't seem to reload the page in either brower.

If it is not likely to be NIS, then I'll contact Dell support, (I didn't want to bug them with 3rd party software issues).  I'll still be watching in case you have other thoughts.

Thank you!

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,854
Solutions: 779

Scott-S wrote:

Same problem in both browers, that's why I thought it might be something in common to both, NIS. 

Yes, that is a little strange to have two separate browsers acting like this.  However, Firefox does honor the Windows Internet Settings that are configured in Internet Options, so it is possible to have something set in IE that will also affect Firefox.  You might start by going into Internet Explorer's Internet Options and make sure all of the security zones and advance settings are set to their defaults.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,461
Solutions: 365

You say you are setting up a new computer. Have you checked to see if those web pages require Flash, or Java? Is your's up to date?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Symantec Employee
Paraneedharan

[ Edited ]

Hi Scott,

Are you facing this issue only in IE or in firefox too?.

Have tried resetting the IE.In case you didnt try the steps below:

To use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature from Control Panel, follow these steps:

1. Exit all programs, including Internet Explorer (if it is running).
  2. If you use Windows XP, click Start, and then click Run. Type the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
    inetcpl.cpl
    If you use Windows Vista, click Start
    Start button
    . Type the following command in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER:
    inetcpl.cpl
    The Internet Options dialog box appears.
  3. Click the Advanced tab.
  4. Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. Then click Reset again.

Click to select the Delete personal settings check box if you would also like to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data.
  5. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.
  6. Start Internet Explorer again.

If you want to download Flash player please Click Here

To download Java Click Here

Pls reply back whether it worked or not.

Thanks,

Paranee.

Phil_D
Topics: 208
Kudos: 2,559
Solutions: 391

Excuse me for jumping in here, Scott.

You stated that you are using IE9 and provided the proper version number.

However, on your Win7 screenshots, the right side of the IE Browser appears like IE9 (Home, Favorites, Tools) but the left side of the browser displays like IE8  (Forward / Back buttons, Refresh, Stop)

Do you have a customization of some sort applied to IE9?

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow