Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
frjwhhr

Photos being withheld

[ Edited ]

Since I downloaded Norton I find that email with photos that are not sent as attachments show up with just a box with a red X. I asked Norton tech support about the problem and they instructed me to change some network settings but this didn't work. I use Internet Explorer. Can anyone help with this matter? Please, please keep in mind that I have the intelligence of a two-year-old when it comes to all things computer. I have pasted the email I initially received from Norton. Thanks in advance.

Wed, December 15, 2010 10:48:13 PM
Technical Support [Incident:[removed]]

Thank you for contacting Norton Support.

I understand from your email description that email photos are not appearing and also you wanted to know how to change thes settings in order to make the photos appear.

I apologize for the inconveniences caused to you. I will certainly assist you with the issue.

I would first like to inform you that the Norton Antivirus 2011 program does not have a firewall feature to block any content from being viewed and so the chances of Norton being the cause of this issue are very less.

If you are unable to view photos, it could also mean that you are exceeding the size limits given to you by your Internet provider. I am also unsure whether you are trying to view photos sent through attachments or pasted in the email content.

As a workaround, you may follow the steps below to disable email antivirus scan and check for the issue by following the steps below:

Steps to disable email antivirus scan in Norton 2011 program:
  •  Open your Norton 2011 program
  • Click on Settings at the top
  • Under Computer Settings , click on Network Settings
  • Click on Configure next to email antivirus scan
  • uncheck the option that says " scan incoming messages"
  • Click on Apply and click OK
After performing the above steps, please try to view images and check for the issue. Please also reply to this email with the details mentioned below for us to have a better understanding of the issue:

• What is the email client you are using (Outlook or Outlook Express) ?
  • Are you trying to view emails sent as attachments or pasted in the content of the email?
  • Do you get any error message or do you see a red X on the image that you are trying to view?
  • Any other information that you think will resolve the issue
Please get back to us with the above requested details to assist you in a better way.

Thanks,

[edit: removed support case number per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.]

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Re: Photos being withheld

As above, what email client are you using, Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird?

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Visitor
frjwhhr

First, LOL over the Mark Twain quote and it's good to know I'm doing something right! Secondly, I'm not sure what email client I am using. I know that when I start up, I use Internet Explorer. I use Yahoo for my email and I don't know what umbrella they are under. Windows Live Mail pops up when I want to reply to a news agency or something of that sort. If this doesn't help, how do I find which email client I use? I told you I was an idiot where computers are concerned although I'm rather bright in other areas of my life.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,798
Solutions: 778

Hi frjwhhr,

WIndows Live Mail hides images by default as a privacy/security measure.  You should only open email images from senders who you know and trust.  See the following for an explanation of how to view images:

http://help.live.com/%28cHJvamVjdD1Ib3RtYWlsS2FodW5hQmV0YSZtYXJrZXQ9ZW4tR0ImdG10PW1zbk1haW4mb2Q9dHJ1...

BananaQuaalude

Hello,

I am having the same problem with pictures being replaced in some emails with a red x. I use Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512. This problem did not exist before Norton Antivirus 2011 was installed.

Any ideas?

thanks!

SendOfJive

As above, it is a Windows thing to make you more secure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843018

BananaQuaalude

No, I checked that setting and the box is unchecked. This affects probably 50% of the emails received, so I find it hard to believe that these sites all have incorrect URLs for their images or the images don't exist.

That and the fact that it started only after Norton was installed lead me to believe it's some setting there. Also, I tried the suggested fix from Norton, disabling the email antivirus, which can't be a good idea, and that did not solve the problem.

SendOfJive

Are the messages with the images missing all from the same sender or is the issue more random?

BananaQuaalude

It's random. I'm thinking this is a firewall issue. The firewall is blocking images from certain sites that it doesn't like. I'm just not sure where to look to change those settings.

SendOfJive

Norton Antivirus 2011 does not have a firewall.  It is unlikely to be a firewall issue, anyway.  Are you getting an infobar at the top of the messages that allows you to override the block?  The issue could be on the sender's end as well - check with the sender to make sure that their email program is properly configured to allow images to be included in messages they send.  For example:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171908