Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
caleb89sw
Accepted Solution

Please help! Unknown msert[1].exe download message.

Hello. This morning while I was on the Internet, right after a started a full system scan, I noticed a pop-up from Norton that notified me of download scan results, telling me that msert[1].exe is safe. I know it's somehow related to Microsoft Safety Scanner, but I didn't download it today. I downloaded it a couple days ago, but not today. When I checked "More Details", it mentioned it was downloaded from Microsoft, but it also said "fewer than 5 users in the Norton Community have used this file" and it was released less than a week ago. While I was checking this out, I noticed our Internet connection briefly shut down, then started up again. Is there something wrong and if so, what should I do? Thanks.   

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,666
Solutions: 760

Re: Please help! Unknown msert[1].exe download message.

Hi caleb89sw,

Download Intelligence sometimes will display a notification when an .exe is accessed, rather than at the time of download, so what you describe is not really worrisome - especially if the popup was telling you the file is safe, and you already know what the file is.  The internet dropout could be coincidental.  Perhaps your ISP was renewing your lease.

Regular Contributor
caleb89sw

Ok. Thanks for getting back to me.

There were a couple things I forgot to mention. When I checked "More details", it said "Developers" and "Version" were unavailable. Also, when I had downloaded it a couple days ago, there were a couple notifications connected to the download, saying it was safe. Does any of this make any difference?

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,666
Solutions: 760

caleb89sw wrote:
Does any of this make any difference?

Not really.  Download Intelligence is providing you with the details of the file's reputation score.  Reputation simply provides you with information to help you know if a file is potentially dangerous or not.  A new file from an untrusted source will be considered more risky than a new file from a known good source.  SInce you downloaded the file yourself and know what it is,and Norton says the file is safe, there really isn't any need to be concerned about it.

Regular Contributor
caleb89sw

aRe: Please help! Unknown msert[1].exe download message.

Ok. Thanks for everything. :)