Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
rlsanders

Pop-Up "Norton" Ad

Even though I have "Special Offer Notification" set to "off", a little while ago I had a pop-up ad appear for a game "from the creators of Norton Internet Security" or something like that.  (Unfortunately, I closed it before paying attention to exactly what it said.)  I'm running NIS 19.9.0.9.  After the pop-up appeared, I ran scan with both NIS and Malwarebytes--both came back clean.

Any idea what this was and why it happened?

Thanks.

Regular Visitor
rsereque

Re: Pop-Up "Norton" Ad

This just happened to me a little while ago.  Like you, I have turned off any type of spamming options for Norton/Symantec. I know that this is just the beginning of MANY ads that we'll see from Norton/Symantec.  I didn't see your post before I added my comments.  Here's what I said:

I am running Norton Internet Security 2012. Tonight I was at my PC when a large ad popped up in the middle of the screen covering what I was working on.  It was from Norton and said "A Message from Norton".  It was a large ad to watch a "Digital Game Thriller" called "Cybergeddon".  There were two options: No Thanks, and Watch Now.  Since when did Norton start using our screens as their personal ad space?  I was livid when I saw this because I know this is only the beginning.  Has this happened to anyone else?  My experience in dealing with Norton Support is you chat with a non-English speaking person in SE Asia who is NOT employed by Symantec and who does not care at all about you.  Indeed, years ago, I was trying to activate my store-bought copy and the activation kept failing.  No one I spoke with could help me even though I bought the product with my hard-earned money.  When I tried calling back, they'd answer, see the serial# I punched in, and hang up.  I confirmed this by entering some other serial numbers I had from other products I had purchased.  Each time I used a new serial number, they'd answer the phone.  But when I used the s/n of the product that wouldn't activate, they'd hang up.  One day I got through and convinced them to put on a higher level of support.  An English speaking American came on and, with my permission, took over my PC.  He kept trying things to no avail.  Finally he said, “I have to check something and I'll be right back”.  This was at midnight.  Because Norton was logged onto my machine, I stayed right there at the PC since I didn't want someone wandering in at the Norton office and screwing around on my machine.  I patiently waited for the guy to come back.  At 2:00 am, I knew I was being taken for a fool and that he was never coming back.  You can't imagine how PI**ED I was at Norton's (Symantec’s) attitude toward a paying customer.  They left me high and dry.  And of course, once you open a software package, you can never return it.  I’ve found that in any company this attitude always trickles down from the top.  They know you can’t do anything about it, and contacting a lawyer will cost way more than the product is worth.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,794
Solutions: 776

[ Edited ]

Hi rsereque,

Do you have Special Offer Notification turned off in Norton's General Settings?  This sounds like a marketing thing, so Customer Support, which deals with technical issues, probably won't immediately know anything about this.  I suggest you stay here with the forums for more information on what might be going on with this.  We'll try to get an answer for you.

Regular Visitor
rsereque

Hi - Thank you so much!  I did NOT have that turned off. I thought I had unset it after installing the product, and wish the default would be off. It is off now, so I'll keep tabs on things.  Hopefully I only received that ad because of the setting having been on.  Thanks again.

Contributor
ablatt

[ Edited ]

I have Special Offer Notification turned OFF in my settings and still got the Cybergeddon ad pop up in the middle of my screen.  At first I thought I had a virus.

It is shameful for a Norton paid product to throw these messages onto peoples screens without their consent.

I've been running NIS on all our family's computers for the last couple of years but between this, the rash of trojans reported on this forum and the feedback on the 2013 product - not sure what I'll do in the future.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,359
Solutions: 340

ablatt wrote:

I have Special Offer Notification turned OFF in my settings and still got the Cybergeddon ad pop up in the middle of my screen.  At first I thought I had a virus.

It is shameful for a Norton paid product to throw these messages onto peoples screens without their consent.

I've been running NIS on all our family's computers for the last couple of years but between this, the rash of trojans reported on this forum and the feedback on the 2013 product - not sure what I'll do in the future.

Try going into Settings and turning ON the Special Notifications. Click apply and exit the Norton interface.

Then go back and disable the setting, click apply and exit the UI.

This may get the setting to stick.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Regular Contributor
rlsanders

My Special Offer Notification setting was set to "OFF", but I still got the ad.  I've followed peterweb's suggestion (thanks) of turning it on and then back off again.

This type of advertising by Symantec is irritating--to say the least.

Regular Contributor
Kelly

The Cybergeddon pop-up has been appearing on some of my friends' computers that don't have Symantec products installed, and it appears Yahoo! is promoting the feature in those cases.  Even though Symantec sponsors the online mini-series, I would suspect Yahoo! or some other website if the special offer notification feature has been turned off.  You might want to consider running AdwCleaner, it fixed the Cybergeddon pop-up issue on two machines that were having the issue (one running Trend Micro, one running Kaspersky).

Regards,

Kelly

Regular Contributor
Kelly

Further to my previous reply, since I cleaned up the adware on my friends' machines last week I regrettably did not save or send myself the logs of what entries were there and what AdwCleaner removed, but it fixed the problem.

The below link from Yahoo is one of many articles on the web regarding Cybergeddon, all of which point to aggressive marketing by Yahoo and third party sites, and I'm thinking it is the more likely culprit in this case.  The producer sees digital distribution as the wave of the future, and it follows that if series such as Cybergeddon are going to be distributed via the web, the platform for marketing is going to likewise be the web.  In any case, I haven't seen a problem with the Cybergeddon pop-up on any of my family's computers, six running NIS and four running N360 (and I've left the notification feature on).  With Symantec being the featured brand and a partner in the production of Cybergeddon, the hypothesis that Norton is the culprit is certainly reasonable.  But what I think is a more likely consideration is adware picked up from the web, and not at all related to the Norton product.

http://advertising.yahoo.com/blogs/advertising/advertising-week-day-3-cybergeddon-steals-show-while-...

In any case, run AdwCleaner (download via the green "down" arrow on the French website), then let it clean up whatever adware it finds.  That may well fix you right up.

http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/view.download/2

Keep us posted :-)

Regards,

Kelly

Regular Visitor
rsereque

Your explanation sounds very reasonable.  Should NIS protect us from pop-ups, or is that not one of the functions of the package?  Normally I'll see pop-ups "glide" into view when I go to a website.  This is the first time i saw one that appeared on my desktop when I  was NOT in any webite whatsoever!  That's what scares me!  I made a copy of the ad as a jpeg in case anyone would like to see it (it is not included here).