Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
park78
Accepted Solution

Preinstalled NIS

I just purchased a new laptop with Norton Internet Security (NIS) preinstalled. I wanted to utilize an available download of my current NIS subscription, so I just downloaded and installed the program from my account website. The process seemed to complete well. Is this the recommended procedure, or should I have uninstalled the preinstalled NIS first?

An additional question, could I do the same process with an available N360 install over a preinstalled NIS? I have heard that, in the past  at least, I could not do this because the Norton products had to be in the same family. Please clarify.

yank
Kudos: 2,249
Solutions: 512

Re: Preinstalled NIS

Hi park78,

What you did appears to have workd - but really all you needed to do was enter the key for you available install - no need to uninstall-reinstall since it was NIS.

It is normally recommended to uninstall NIS and then reinstall N360 when you are changing from NIS to N 360.  what you heard in the past still holds true.  I also recommend removing NIS via Control Panel , rebooting and then running the Norton Removal Tool prior to installing N 360 (some folks disagree with this), so it would be up to the user. 

park78

>>but really all you needed to do was enter the key for you available install<<

Aha... that's what I thoght. I found the "product key" easily on my account web site, but for some reason I could not locate the place to put that number in the software. When I clicked on "Account" at the top of the NIS software it just took me to my account page on the web.

yank
Kudos: 2,249
Solutions: 512

If the NIS that was instaled is a trial - it will have an expiration date (Days left) on the main page of NIS and Activate (I believe it will say) - when clicked it will either ask if you have a key or provide a link where you can enter the key.  It has been awhile since I last activated a trial, so the wording may be slightly off.