Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
floplot
Topics: 210
Kudos: 2,014
Solutions: 361

Re: Problem with LiveUpdate.

Hello Rosemary

We now have to wait for the Mods to approve the screen shot before we can see it. From that version number we can tell it is a 2011 version of the product.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Keylogger Crusher
RichD

floplot wrote:

Hello Rosemary

Would you mind telling us what the other issue was? The latest version is NAV 2012. Was a system restore to factory defaults performed for the other problem? If that was done, it is possible that the original security program was reinstalled also.

Hello Rosemary,

What floplot mentions could be important.  I had a problem with LiveUpdate a few months ago that only appeared after I brought my computer to the computer shop for an unrelated keyboard repair.  I never found out exactly all the things the shop did to repair my computer, but  after they returned the computer to me, LiveUpdate wouldn't work at all. The repair had nothing to do with NIS, but somehow NIS was affected during the repair process.

RichD

HP-Mini 110 -1020NR (netbook) 2GB RAM, CPU N270 @1.60GHz, Windows XP Home, SP3, NIS 2011 18.6.0.29 (installed 12h00 GMT 18-JUL-11) , FF5,IE8

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,679
Solutions: 759

Hi RosemaryCoupe,

Have you tried the "Restart Now" option? 

Visitor
RosemaryCoupe

Yes, I did try the "restart now" option a couple of times, though it did seem pointless, as a check of Norton told me Live Update was functioning perfectly well. The popups just kept coming, so I'm taking the 24 hour option now!

I realize I can block all popups on Firefox, but I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.

Thanks again--your help is much appreciated.

Rosemary

Visitor
RosemaryCoupe

I realize I hadn't answered your other question fully. The popup problem came out of nowhere a couple of months ago. I asked my computer repair person to fix it, and he quite reasonably tried to do so by installing the current version of Norton. But of course that did not help.

Rosemary

SendOfJive

[ Edited ]

Open Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel and check if LiveUpdate is listed there as a standalone program.  With newer versions of NAV, there should not be a separate LiveUpdate program in the list, so you may or may not see it.  Let us know what you find.

If you manually run LiveUpdate, does it report that updates have installed successfully?

Visitor
Gonzo54

Rosemary - have the same problem with my NAV 360 V5.0..

Is anyone out there able to fix this???  I have manually ran the updater a dozen times and always get the same restart request after what appears to be a successful download of a 1.5 mb file.  On restart the system still has the SYSTEM SECURITY panel with a bright red AT RISK warning. Windows firewall is also warning me of the same thing.

Visitor
Gonzo54

Fixed it myself......:smileytongue:

Checked the date - found it was out (son's uni assignment) and viola all good...:robottongue:

Have you tried this Rosemary???

Visitor
RosemaryCoupe

No, I don't find LiveUpdate as a separate program.

The Antivirus History shows frequent activity by LiveUpdate, 8 "completed" in the last two days. However, when I tried to run it manually today, the message read "A previously installed update is awaiting restart." After restart, the message read "Not all of the updates were successful." After a second restart, the updates apparently were successful, but I had to restart a 3rd time for them to take effect. I did that, and although again the message read that the updates were successful, I was told to restart a 4th time for them to take effect.

Yesterday when I clicked on the Norton icon I received this popup: "You have received the following error 8504,104" and giving instructions to download and run PowerEraser. I did that. After the scan, no risks were found. I hoped briefly that this might have fixed the problem, but the popups I originally described continue. I do restart my computer every day--should this not download live updates automatically? Have any of you been able to see the jpeg image I posted?

Thanks again

Rosemary

SendOfJive

It sounds like a program update is not installing properly.  At this point it might be easiest to simply uninstall and reinstall the product.  You can do this is one operation using the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool.  This will remove your existing NAV 2011 product and install the new NAV 2012 product in its place.  Unless you have a reason for staying with the older version, this is probably the best solution for you.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=v60392881_EndUserProfile...