I found a solution to my problem and hope it will solve many others that are having the same problem. Here is the problem that I posted on 3/24/12:
Periodically, I receive a dialog box that states:
"The following plug-in is unresponsive: Norton Confidential - would you like to stop it? Yes or No"
I "stumbled" on the solution a couple of days ago but wanted to broadcast my solution (and hopefully others) after I made sure it continued to work for me. First of all, the solution is in Chrome NOT Norton. Here are the solution steps:
1) Click on the wrench icon in the upper right had corner of the Chrome Web page.
2) Click on "Settings"
3) Go to the "Under the Hood" category on the left column of the screen
4) At the top of the screen where it says "Privacy", click on "Content Settings"
5) Go to "Plug-ins" in the left column and click on the link named "Disable Individual Plug-ins"
6) Lastly, check "ALLOW" under the Norton Confidential section
This solved my problem, hopefully it will solve yours.