Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
cmedina

Remote assistance

I am no longer able to provide remote assistance after I installed NIS 2010 on my windows 7 64 bit machine. Can anyone help me with this problem? I can get remote assistance. I just can't give it.

AllenM
Topics: 227
Kudos: 2,163
Solutions: 379

Re: Remote assistance

cmedina wrote:

I am no longer able to provide remote assistance after I installed NIS 2010 on my windows 7 64 bit machine. Can anyone help me with this problem? I can get remote assistance. I just can't give it.

Hi cmedina,

Welcome to the Norton Community. What is your exact version of NIS 2010 from Help & Support > About?

Have you tried disabling the firewall in NIS to verify if this is the issue? You can try this but if you do, please make the time as brief as possible to test and then turn the firewall back on.

Or alternatively if you have a home network with two or more computers you might be able to disconnect yourself from the Internet and try remote assistance between two computers on your home network with the firewall temporarily disabled.

Please let us know what you find when the firewall is disabled. If the firewall is the issue then we can help you configure a firewall rule to allow it.

If you are familiar with configuring firewalls you can add a rule on both computers to allow communition for port 3389 which is used for Remote Assistance. Otherwise we can help you with that.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
AllenM
Topics: 227
Kudos: 2,163
Solutions: 379

Re: Remote assistance

Hi cmedina,

Did you have a chance to verify if this helps you?

Thanks very much. :smileywink:

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19