Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
OutRaged

Renewal price

[ Edited ]
I was checking the renewal prices for Norton internet security and other Norton antivirus software and was shocked by the high price they are asking for just a renewal. I have 3 laptops and 2 desk top PC’s and at these prices I can barely afford to renew 1 PC subscription let alone 5. I am very disappointed by Symantec’s pricing structure and I know a lot of other folks are too. If I owned a business and my business depended on the protection of my PC’s then I could justify the cost but at these prices it makes more sense to just backup data, pictures and music and if I get a virus just to do a factory restore. I will not be paying $250 to protect my PC’s for just a year. Your thoughts are welcome.
Message Edited by OutRaged on 01-03-2010 09:31 AM
Yaso_Kuuhl
Kudos: 1,437
Solutions: 528

Re: Renewal price

[ Edited ]

Hi OutRaged,

What you could do is the following: sometimes, buying the whole boxed product or the product as a download can be cheaper than buying only the renewal. So maybe you could check, for instance, on amazon if you can purchase a boxed version of your 5-licence Norton version, and simply use the renewal key (on the CD sleeve of the boxed version; in the confirmation e-mail if you buy a Norton product as a download) to renew your Norton product.

For example: if your NIS 2009 is expiring, and you discover a version of NIS 2009 or 2010 going at a lower price than buying a new subscription (make sure that the number of licences corresponds to your current number of licences), then you can purchase that version, ignore the CD and use only the product key to renew your subscription. In order to do this, you have to wait until your Norton product has nearly expired (but don't let it expire altogether!), and then type in your new product key via "Express renewal" or "Subscribe now", depending on which version of Norton you have got (the interface and menu vary between versions/builds). The reason why you would have to wait until your old subscription has expired is that if you renew your product with a new product key, then the days from your old subscription will not be added to your new subscription.

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 01-03-2010 07:13 PM
delphinium
Kudos: 2,964
Solutions: 293

Hi Outraged:

Have you actually looked in the Symantec store website for renewals for 5-user packages.  This is on the US. site, but they have obviously kept the renewal cost as low as possible.

5User.jpg

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Super Spam Squasher
Plankton

Hi Outraged:

Your points are quite valid!

That's why I went out a month ago and picked up 2 boxes of NIS 2009 @ $9.99 each (US) - too bad that they didn't have more!

It is hard to put a price on great network security, though. If I had to pay more, I would... but just for Norton.:smileywink:

Nothing like peace of mind!

Plankton - MCSE, CSQE

- NIS 2009 • NIS 2010 -

Windows XP • Vista • 7 • IE 8

Super Spam Squasher
hvgsel

[ Edited ]

Hi OutRaged,

Your points are less valid, if you look at the posts above.

You just added 5 single user subscriptions together and ended up with $ 250,-.

If you look around a bit, you will discover, that you can buy a 3 user, 5 user or 10 user pack. User = PC. So your five PC's can be very well protected with Norton for less than $ 100,- ($ 3 a day=1 beer).

Worth every penny, even if you do not own a business. Even by simply restoring doing a factory restore, you then have to adjust and install everything afterwards. For me that is loosing quality-time hours, which are worth at least $ 40 an hour for me :smileyhappy:!

And don't forget that Norton is not a static program, like f.i. Office. Each day there are a lot of people working at Symantec, to supply you with the latest protection updates for security threats.

Message Edited by hvgsel on 04-01-2010 12:02 AM
W8.1 Update 1 / W7-SP1 with IE11 and FF 30, TB 24.6, NIS2013 21.3.0.12 and N360 21.3.0.12, Android 4.2 with NMS 3.8
Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

In the past Brits looked to the States for cheaper product. NIS 2010 is being sold by majors such as Amazon.co.uk over here at £23 for 1yr 3 PC licence. Maybe its time to buy from the UK.
Visitor
OutRaged

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all the feedback. I have not found the page for a 5 user pack, it must be well hidden. I do see that the Internet security has a 3 PC licence.

Ok, I found where you need to select Multi-User Packs instead of the actual product of intrest.

Message Edited by OutRaged on 01-03-2010 03:52 PM
Yaso_Kuuhl

Visitor
OutRaged

Thanks...
Yaso_Kuuhl