Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
mgmoz
Accepted Solution

Restriction Warnings?!?

G'day All,

My reason for joining is that I suspect I have some sort of virus and I really need some help!

Please bear with me.

When I start up my computer using Windows XP with SP3, I get two "Restriction Warning" messages.

One reads "Administrator has prohibited access to CD/DVD ROM drives" and the otheris "Administrator has prohibited access to USB/1394 mass storage devices".

I have tried researching this on the net with no luck.

I am the only user/administrator on my system but I can't get access to any of my devices or drives unless I start Windows in "Safe Mode".

I have spent many frustrating hours trying to sort out this issue. Can anyone help me solve this?

Cheers, Ian

Super Phishing Phryer
Turbo

Re: Restriction Warnings?!?

Hello mgmoz

If your PC is an Acer check this thread:  TechSupport

PC_confused
Topics: 115
Kudos: 120
Solutions: 27

mgmoz - Welcome to the Community and you really don't have to wait for a problem to join in on the posts.  Before getting started, you said you are running Windows XP SP3.  What AntiVirus or Security software are you running (with the version number).  Also have you installed or changed any hardware or software recently, you may have developed a driver problem.  Have you tried running checkdisk, while in safe mode, to check your harddrive?  It's a lot of questions but it helps track down any problems.

AllenM
Topics: 221
Kudos: 2,151
Solutions: 377

Hi mgmoz,

Welcome to the Norton Community. Which Norton product do you have and the version? You can find the version from Support > About.

Can you think of anything unusual which occurred prior to this problem starting? Any new software installed, including Windows update? Are there any other unusual problems with your computer that we should be aware of?

Though a problem like this "could" be malware related, there are a host of other possibilities which could be causing this as well. If this is the only symptom you are having it is unlikely to be malware.

Therefore more information about your system and any problems you might be having apart from this will allow us to provide better assistance.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14)
Visitor
mgmoz

Wow! Thanks everyone for your replies!

Okay, again please bear with me...I'm still on my "Trainer wheels" in this area!

My computer is an Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz, 2.80 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM.

Windows XP Pro version 2002 with Svce Pack 3

I am running Norton Antivirus 18.6.0.29 and have done full scans over the last few weeks and days without finding any "nasties".

I recently downloaded and installed a program recommended by Microsoft called "Zune". It didn't do what I had hoped it would so I uninstalled it and I think that is when my problems began.

Prior to that, I did have problems opening up AutoCAD LT 2011 documents and was told to remove all the Microsoft. NET Framework versions in a particular order then download only the latest versions. Windows Update then automatically restored the versions it required. That didn't completely solve my AutoCAD LT problem but I was able to access those files.

I have observed a marked drop in speed of my system. I have run Registry Mechanic to clean up my registry without any speed improvement.

After sending off this message, I will try the "checkdisk" in safe mode as you have suggested PC_confused and I'll let you all know the results.

Thank you also Turbo & AllenM. I ready do appreciate your help.

Cheers, Ian

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Download and run Norton Power Eraser tool :

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/DIY/index.jsp

Go for Rootkit Scan and Restart the computer. Check if it detects any threats and if it does, please provide us the filename and other details. Don't fix any files now, you can fix those after getting confirmation in this thread.

Yogesh

Visitor
mgmoz

Thank you, yogesh,

I have done as you have asked.

The only thing that came up is "lee filters swatchball" Type: Directory Local Scan: Bad.

I tried to attach a .jpg file 'screen grab' of it but can't.

One thing that I have now established recently is that a program called "AdminWorks Management Suite" (from OSA Technologies) is producing the warning windows that I get on Start Up. The icon down at the bottom of my screen is called 'AdminWorks Agent'

It is one of the Intel(R) Desktop Utilities.

Does that make any sense?

Any ideas what I am dealing with here?

Regards, Ian

AllenM
Topics: 221
Kudos: 2,151
Solutions: 377

Hi mgmoz,

You can attach a JPG image to your post by following the procedure in the following post:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/25...

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14)
Visitor
mgmoz

Thanks AllenNorton Power Eraser Results.jpg

delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

It looks as though the entry is likely to be a false positive.  Did you install the filters in connection with your CAD work?

http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/products/colours/

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain