Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
bigbadbenny
Accepted Solution

Right Click Custom Scan Option Gone!

Im not tech savvy at all so this may be a very stupid question, but previously I could right click on a file and do a custom scan for that 1 file or even folder, now the option is gone completely (as the pic shows) how do i get my "Run Custom Scan with Norton" Command prompt back, thanks all in advance 

bbb

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/bigbadbenny/rightclick.jpg[/IMG] 

Yaso_Kuuhl
Kudos: 1,438
Solutions: 528

Re: Right Click Custom Scan Option Gone!

[ Edited ]

Hi bigbadbenny, welcome to the Norton Community :-)

There are no stupid questions over here -we all learn by asking questions :-D

Can you please indicate what kind of Norton product you have got and which version of Norton you are running? Also, what is your Operating System (including service packs and bit version)?

When did you first see that the right-click option had disappeared (e.g. was it after upgrading to a new version of Norton)?

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 11-25-2009 01:28 PM
bigbadbenny

[ Edited ]

Can you please indicate what kind of Norton product you have got and which version of Norton you are running?

Ok Ive got Norton Internet Security, Version 10.1.0.26 (Im sorry I have no idea if thats even right)

Also, what is your Operating System (including service packs and bit version)?

Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2??? 32-Bit version

When did you first see that the right-click option had disappeared (e.g. was it after upgrading to a new version of Norton)?

Today, its usually there so I can scan files I download to pick up any viruses etc, but its now gone, I re-subscribes to the current Norton over 50 Days ago.

Message Edited by bigbadbenny on 11-25-2009 04:41 AM
Yaso_Kuuhl

[ Edited ]

HI bigbadbenny,

You are using NIS 2007. It is strongly recommended that you upgrade to NIS 2010 (I myself did so) ;-) NIS 2007, I remember, was quite heavy on the system resources; NIS 2010 is very light-footed and swift.

Users of Norton 2006 products or later can upgrade to Norton 2010 products for free.

Please do the following (it should also solve your scan option problem thanks to having a new version): 

Download and save the full installation package of NIS 2010 to your computer from this link:

http://www.norton.com/nis10

If you are in Vista, right-click on the NIS 2010 icon, choose "run as administrator" and let it install over NIS 2007. NIS 2010 will remove NIS 2007, reboot your computer and install itself. Please be patient during this process. NIS 2010 should pick up your NIS 2007 product key and number of subscription days automatically. To be on the safe side, however, please fetch your NIS 2007 product key from your Norton account:

http://www.mynortonaccount.com/

Once you have installed NIS 2010, test the right-click scan option by right-clicking on a random file; you should see the scan option: 

Norton Internet Securty ->Insight Network Scan, and also Norton File Insight. For the traditional right-click scan like in the older versions, choose Insight Network Scan. 

Please tell us how it goes - thanks :-)

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 11-25-2009 02:06 PM
bigbadbenny

Excellent installed NIS 2010 and everything seems to be working fine and I have the old custom scan back, thanks for your help,
Yaso_Kuuhl

Glad I was able to help, and thanks for posting back with the good news :-)