Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
bc596

Safe Search and IE9 - Problem

[ Edited ]

Hello folks:  I noticed today that, when using the Bing search engine and IE9, if the Active X filtering option is turned on, I don't see the Safe Search icons.  The icons are visable if I search using Norton Safe Seaarch or if I search with the IE9 Active X Filter off.  I don't recall this happening before today, but I can't say for certain.  I tried reverting back to IE8, and everything worked as it should.  I also uninstalled NIS 2012, used the removal tool, then reinstalled, just in case I had something haappening with Norton.

Any ideas or suggestions?  I'm thinking I should go back to IE8 and wait for IE10!

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1, NIS 2012, MBAM Pro (real-time of):  all fully updated.

Thanks, BC

Regular Contributor
bc596

Re: Safe Search and IE9 - Problem

Hello again:  I need to correct myself here.  The problem involves Safe Web, not Safe Search.  IE9 Active X Filter on - no Safe Web rating icons in Bing.  Turn off IE9 Active X filter and the rating icons appear.

Appreciate your feedback.

BC

Regular Contributor
bc596

Anyone care to help here.  Has anyone else noticed this?  With NIS 2012 do I even need the Active X Filter?  I'd appreciate any feedback.

BC

Norton Fighter
Krusty13

bc596 wrote:

Hello folks:  I noticed today that, when using the Bing search engine and IE9, if the Active X filtering option is turned on, I don't see the Safe Search icons.  The icons are visable if I search using Norton Safe Seaarch or if I search with the IE9 Active X Filter off.  I don't recall this happening before today, but I can't say for certain.  I tried reverting back to IE8, and everything worked as it should.  I also uninstalled NIS 2012, used the removal tool, then reinstalled, just in case I had something haappening with Norton.

Any ideas or suggestions?  I'm thinking I should go back to IE8 and wait for IE10!

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1, NIS 2012, MBAM Pro (real-time of):  all fully updated.

Thanks, BC

Hi bc596,

I tried this and got the same results.  Here is a Microsoft article about ActiveX Filtering which may explain a little to you.  I have my ActiveX Filter off,  but I have installed SpywareBlaster which prevents the installation of ActiveX based spyware and other potentially unwanted programs.  It also populates a blocked cookie list which greatly reduces tracking cookies.

I hope this helps.

Dave.

senthilkumar
Kudos: 250
Solutions: 105

[ Edited ]

Hi,

When ActiveX FIlter control is enabled, it prevents safesearch annotations showing in search engine webpages.  We can turnoff the ActiveX Filter control  for a particular page e.g. Bing,Google

If you  want to disable this protection for a specific page, you  can click on the 'blue icon' ->  "Turn off Active X filtering" and doing this enables annotation for the Google or other search engines.

More information on Active Filtering

Attached screenshot for reference.

ActiveX.jpg

Thanks,

Senthil.

Regular Contributor
bc596

Thanks for the help. Glad to know it's "normal".  Sure wish somebody would decide who does what for security - seems to me to be too much overlap.  That has to be difficult for compamnies to keep up, let alone the consumer.  I miss the old days when the systems and softwae were simpler; but then, the security software wasn't as sofisticated and the bad guys hadn't learned all thier new tricks yet!  Either that or I'm just getting old - I still remembr when electric calculators were the big thing, and who can forget the Comodore 64!

Seemed like a good day for a trip down memory lane - now I hope I can find my way home.... (laughter is the best medicine)!.  Have a great weekend everyone.

BC