Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Lshyann

Scammed by logmein123 ?

[ Edited ]

My mom recently bought a new desktop computer because her old one went out.  She needed to install her Norton Antivirus on the new computer but because she had already installed this program on 3 other computers using this disc (the limit) she had to call Norton to get another product key.  When she called customer service at Norton/Symantec she was connected to a tech support in India.  He told her that he was unable to pull up her Norton Antivirus product information and needed access to her computer to see if he could pull it up.  He gave her a code to log in to logmein123 and gained access to the computer.  He immediately said that the Norton Antivirus was infected (The computer comes with a 60 day trial and she's only had the computer 3 days!) He said that the desktop had over 14,000 viruses and said it needed to be fixed immediately.  He then said that he needed to gain access to my laptop since Norton was installed on my computer too.  Trusting that this was legit, he gave me a different code to log in to logmein123 and gained access to my laptop.  He pulled up the eventviewer and said that I had over 46,000 viruses on my laptop and that my laptop had infected my mom's desktop because we are on the same network....which made no sense to me.  He instructed me to turn off my administrative account and that for $600 he could remove the viruses from both computers.  My mom stated that she did not have that kind of money and would not be able to have this service done at this point and time.  He became very frustrated and kept pushing her to allow him to do this service and pay the $600.  My mom kept telling him no and he said that only a "level 3 certified" tech could remove the viruses and that she would not be able to use her computer anymore.  He even told her to find a friend or family member to give her the $600 so she could have this done right away.  My mom didn't give in and she hung up.  I looked at the messages in the eventviewer and they were Error messages and system information ranging from 2008 to now.  Nothing indicated a possible virus.  I ran a full system scan with Norton and Superantispyware and the the logs came up clean.  I admit that I did have a virus on my computer a few months ago after doing a Java update but those viruses were thoroughly removed and I haven't had any problems since.  I was doing some research afterwards and came across several websites that have stated that "techs" are using logmein123 as a scam.  Should we be worried since this person had access to both of our computers.  Should I be concerned about the error messages on my computer?

floplot
Topics: 210
Kudos: 2,025
Solutions: 361

Re: Possibly scammed by Norton? Logmein123.com

Hello Lshyann

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

How did your Mom contact Norton customer support?  Did your Mom register the program at mynortonaccount? If she had contacted Norton Customer Support, and told them that her old computer had died, then they should have been able to free up one of the computers that had it on and she should have been able to use the same key. $600; doesn't sound like the right amount either. If this is a new computer, then she should contact the company from whom she bought the computer also.

What operating system and service pack does this new computer have? What is the Norton product and version number involved?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

AllenM
Topics: 221
Kudos: 2,151
Solutions: 377

Hi Lshyann,

Welcome to the Norton Community. I have to admit this sounds very fishy. What country are you located in? For the USA for example, Norton charges $99.99 for virus removal service. Please see the following link.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/nortonlive/spyware-virus-removal.jsp

What number did you call for Symantec?

When you activated Norton Antivirus it would have been linked to a Norton Account and an email address. From your Norton Account you can request a new product key. Please visit:

https://www.mynortonaccount.com/amsweb/default.do

What you all were told sounds very, very fishy and the charge of $600 (assuming USA currency) is completely outrageous and I don't know of any circumstance in which Symantec would ever charge that much.

As a precaution you can also run a full scan with the free version of MalwareBytes per the procedure below. The free version is an on-demand scanner only and will not interfere with your Norton product.

Please download, install, update and run the free version of MalwareBytes following the procedure outlined below. Any other recommendations will follow after you have a chance to provide any other details requested.

Please go to www.malwarebytes.org

1. Download Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (mbam-setup.exe) free version and save it on your Desktop.
2. After downloading, double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
3. Follow the prompts and install as “default” only
4. Before the installation completes, check on the following prompts:
- Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
5. Click “Finish.” The program will run automatically and you will be prompt to update the program before doing a scan. Please update.
6. Scan your computer thoroughly choosing a "full scan".
7. When scanning is finished click on “Show Results”
8. Make sure that all detected threats are marked with a check mark, click on "Remove Selected".
9. Restart your computer.

Please post the logs back to this thread using "add attchments" at the bottom.

Note: Sometimes the main site is blocked from attempts to download MalwareBytes. If this occurs please try to download from:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
Please do not download the Spyware Doctor which you will see on this page!

Please check your Norton account is mentioned earlier. This is the easiest and safest way to purchase a product key to cover more computers.

Please let us know how it goes.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14)
Regular Contributor
artfreak

[ Edited ]

Lshyann:  First  Allen gives great advice, if I were you Id follow it.

I have to say I love my norton product (nis 2010) and have previous years also, that said a year or so back I had problems with 2009 product sucking cpu power and not shutting down right, I tried cust service too and never will again...I got what your mom got, they had to sign on to my machine thru' the site you mentioned.  It took a long time too...what were they doing I dont know...

I was leary and let them but got really nervouse watching this go on and cancelled the connection.

Now I hate to say this but I really think I had virus' or fake ones or something put on my pc, because after that it had a mess of trouble it hadnt had before.  It was running really strange. I ended up doing a restore and then....

The folks here had me uninstall 09 and simply update to newer version, voila fixed!

I cant say this for sure but it just seemed fishy to me too, and they kept indicating that I might have to pay for the help I kept saying then stop I cant pay you.

Years back you could get simple concise help thru email even from symantec, seems now all they want to do is commando your machine makes me so very nervous I will never do that again.

I always come here now first.  I have worried about that 123 sign on thing a lot since then, changed all my passwords too.

Your mom isnt the only one who found that wierd anyway.

To those in the know...is the sign on 123 thing a scam? And why would we reach that from symantec help line??

AllenM
Topics: 221
Kudos: 2,151
Solutions: 377

[ Edited ]

Hi Folks,

What I'm trying to say is that I don't believe this was Norton which is why I asked for the phone number Lshyann called.

The following links might prove interesting.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistasecurity/thread/b57b5f1d-d99a-4b3f-9ecf-e07704...

http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/supportonclick-systemrecure-scam

Lshyann, how long was the technician logged into the computer(s)? Do you recall what was done while they were logged on?

Edit: Hi Artfreak, I just saw your last edited question. I don't know how to answer that except to say that I would really like to know the phone number which was called. :smileywink:

Thanks

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14)
Regular Contributor
artfreak

My experience was connected through chat help from the norton console.

Administrator
Venkat_J

Re: Scammed by logmein123 ?

Hi Lshyann,

Welcome to the community!

I would like to have support case ID number so that our team can look into it further. Can you please send me the necessary details over a Private Message through the community private messenger.

Thanks,

Venkat

Venkat Jammalamadugu
Norton Forums Moderator
Consumer Products and Solutions
Symantec Corporation

huwyngr
Topics: 1,003
Kudos: 2,737
Solutions: 368

Lshyann,

Venkat --names in red are Norton staff -- asked you to send him a private message with informationion in it:

<< Can you please send me the necessary details over a Private Message through the community private messenger.  >>

In case you are not familiar with how to do this the easiest way is to click on his red name where it shows who it is from and this will open up a page with details about him. Look over to the right in the box where it says Contact and click ont bown line that says Send this user a private message and that will open up the private message editor with his address filled in.

Then just give him the Case ID that he asks for.

In general if you want to send a private message to someone you click on that envelope symbol up top right next to Help but you have to fill in the address yourself! If you see that envelope is yellow instead of an outline it means you have a private message/reply so click on it and it will take you to it.

Hope that helps.

Hugh

Hugh
Visitor
Lshyann

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the responses everyone.  The Norton product that we have is Norton Internet Security 2010.    My mom contacted customer service via this number 1-877-213-7796.  Her new computer is an HP Pavilion All-in-One with Windows 7.  My laptop is a Toshiba Satelitte with Windows Vista.  We live in the US and the person that we spoke with told us that he was located in India.  He stated that his name was Salmon.  He initially told my mom that she would be able to install NIS on the new computer since the old one died and instructed her to insert the disc.  He then stated that he needed access to the computer via logmein123 so that he could install it from his end.  Once he gained access that's when he stated that the computer had been infected with viruses and it was from my laptop.  He had access to the computer for about 15-20 minutes before he stated that he needed access to my laptop.  I'm not exactly sure what all was done on my mom's computer because I wasn't in the room, but on my laptop all that he did was pull up the event viewer and said that the error messages and system information messages were all viruses and that neither me or my mom would be able to use our computers anymore until we paid the $600 and had the viruses removed.  He stated not to do any type of transactions online with credit cards because it wasn't safe but wanted access to my mom's credit card so he could charge this service. In all, he had access to my mom's computer for about 35-40minutes and access to my laptop for about 20 minutes. Once he disconnected from both computers I disabled any type of remote access to the computer.

Ventkat_J  I'm sorry but I don't have the case ID number.  She was not given one.

I just completed a full scan with Malwarebytes and the scan came up clean. 

There was also a chat box from iYogi that popped up when he gained access to the computer

Super Virus Trouncer
bjm_

1-877-213-7796 requires a Pin # for access....

have you called the number...

Did your Mom offer any personal information ...