Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Cruisco

Setup.exe runs often and takes up a ton of memory

My computer was recording extreme high CPU usage.  When I checked the performance tab of my Norton Internet Security 2011, is showed setup.exe as the culprit.  Is that normal.  Why is that program being run by Norton?

Thanks in advance.

dickevans

Re: Setup.exe runs often and takes up a ton of memory

Cruisco wrote:

My computer was recording extreme high CPU usage.  When I checked the performance tab of my Norton Internet Security 2011, is showed setup.exe as the culprit.  Is that normal.  Why is that program being run by Norton?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Cruisco,

I just checked my system and I have several files named 'setup.exe'. I also did a bit of checking on the high usage peaks and none of them list setup.exe as the cause. At this point I can only guess that you have a copy of a setup.exe file running that is being reported by Norton but is not part of the Norton program. I'm not sure if it's 'normal' or not since another program could be getting ready to operate and its setup routine is running. Many programs that are heavy on graphics and animation will put a load on the CPU as they get everything ready. When you are looking at your performance graph is the heavy usage a peak or a sustained line when representing the high usage? Perhaps if you can tell us a bit more about what's happening on your computer we can get a better handle on how 'normal' the activity is.

Sorry to have more questions than answers but without putting hands on the system it is a bit harder to tell what's right or wrong.

Keep us in the loop

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
AllenM
Topics: 226
Kudos: 2,152
Solutions: 379

Re: Setup.exe runs often and takes up a ton of memory

[ Edited ]

Cruisco wrote:

Thanks in advance.

HI Cruisco,

Welcome to the Norton Community.

As Dick said this is not likely at all to be a program run by Norton.

There are a couple of things you can do to help narrow down where the setup program is coming from.

• Bring up Task Manager by right clicking on the task tray and select Start Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab if not already selected. Then click on the Memory column header so that processes using the most memory are shown at the top. Tell us what you see there.
  • From the Performance window of NIS you can left click anywhere in the graph then when you see the list of programs, point your mouse over the program name and left click again. This will bring up a window which will identify the company who owns the program which is running. You can then click on Locate this file and it will bring up Windows Explorer and identity the location of the program. Please see images below.

Hope this helps and please let us know.

Best wishes.

Allen

perf1.png

perf2.png

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.3.0.12