Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
augie

Sonar Protection Problem

It appears that Sonar Protection has been turned of by Norton.  I just installed AV 2010 and turned it on but when I apply settings and return it's off.  That causes N AV to signal a problem that requires fixing.  When I select Fix, it tries to fix Sonar Protection but can't.  If Norton working on the problem, they need to shut off the "fix now" message.
Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Re: Sonar Protection Problem

[ Edited ]

Hi Augie,

Welcome to Norton Community!

Is it a fresh install of NAV 2010 or over-install above NAV 2009? 

Do you have any other security programs?

Which is your Operating System?

Check in the History for any recent errors. If you see any such error for Sonar Protection, check for the error code and module id(You can find it under More Details).

Yogesh

Message Edited by yogesh_mohan on 10-28-2009 12:40 AM
Visitor
augie

Is it a fresh install of NAV 2010 or over-install above NAV 2009? -----over NAV 2009

Do you have any other security programs?-----No

Which is your Operating System?-----XP

Check in the History for any recent errors. If you see any such error for Sonar Protection, check for the error code and module id(You can find it under More Details).

Yogesh

It's doing the same thing on my laptop which suggests that it's a Norton problem.  I turn Sonar on but the NAV software turns it off.

dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,294
Solutions: 263

A fresh reinstall of NAV2010 should fix the problem.

1) Copy your Norton key for safe keeping just in case you need it. You should not need this but it is better to have the key on hand than to need it and not have ready access to the key. You can find a copy of your currently installed key in My Documents\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus_Key.txt.

2) Download the Norton Removal Tool from this link. Norton Removal Tool Choose the 2010 product link and the Norton Removal Tool (NRT) to your desktop. Directions are on the link page.

3) Download the latest version of NAV2010 from this link. Reinstall After Removal Choose the 'I have Norton Antivirus 2006 or later' link on this page. On the next page you can download the latest NAV2010 installation software.

4) Disconnect from the Internet until your system needs the connection later in the process.

5) Go to START > Norton AntiVirus > Uninstall and let NAV2010 uninstall itself. It will want to reboot the machine. Let it.

6) During the booting of your system, go to Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Options menu is shown. Choose the Safe Mode option (no network or command prompt).

7) In Safe Mode, run the NRT tool. When the tool is finished, click on the Reboot to restart your system.

8) Let Windows boot into normal mode now.

9) Install NAV2010 by double clicking the file you downloaded and saved to your desktop in step 3.

10) When the installation asks for your key or says activating your product, reconnect to the internet then (plug your cable in or turn on the wireless card). [Note: The installation may not ask for your key and activate by using the previous key on the system. Your system will still need to connect to the internet at this point so updated definitions can be downloaded.]

11) Run the Live Update process manually until Live Update reports that there are no more updates to download, NAV2010 is fully up to date.

12) Reboot your system now to insure that any components updated during step 11 are loaded properly.

13) See if your error is fixed now.

Report back here with how this works for you.

Win7 x32 SP1
Visitor
augie

That was a pretty severe suggested fix and I was reluctant to try it.  Don't know why, but when I booted up this morning, the problem corrected itself.  I also noted that NAV 2010 had placed a new shortcut on my desktop which I used.  Yesterday I was using my old shortcut since it was the only one on my desktop.  That was on my desktop. Now I find that my laptop didn't get a new shortcut and it corrected itself as well.  I used the old NAV shortcut on my laptop and and all is well yjere too.

Just curious.  On what basis were you recommending a NAV removal and clean install?  My prior experience with attempting NAV removal has been less than good.

Augie

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Hi Augie,

Normally, this problem happens when some of the updates required for SONAR has not been updated to your Norton program through LiveUpdate for the first time. Those updates may have downloaded via Automatic LiveUpdate afterwards which resolved your problem. Please run LiveUpdate again and make sure that you receive all updates. Check whether the problem persists. You may need to uninstall/reinstall only if the problem re-appears.

Yogesh