Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
CorbinDallas25

Sony Rootkit Removal

My system is used for professional media production.  I have NIS installed on my laptop and have chosen not to install it on my production system. 

I have removed and uncloacked the rootkit and removed the aries.sys file.  according to broadbanddslreports.com i have removed the threat of malware infection but i have not completely moved all the other bull**bleep** this thing installs.  i have found other information that corroborates with the link that indicates i may have remaining elements of this thing that could interfere with plug and play devices on my system... from DVD drives, hard drives, and the plug and play drivers of my production hardware. can anyone here confirm this?  i am not comfortable doing deep editing of the registry.  will NIS or NAV completely remove all this other junk.?

thanks for the help.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Re: Sony Rootkit Removal

Visitor
CorbinDallas25

please read the entire link (expecially the 3rd page) in my OP.  there is no way i'm using anything put out by sony as a fix to "completely" remove this thing.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

I am not going to read the other forum in your first message, there is no point, as I know how to remove and fix the rootkit, It's been around for ages.

If you don't want to follow the removal instructions, I'm fine with that. Your Choice

Quads

Visitor
CorbinDallas25

as i said in my OP... i already removed the aries.sys file.  i need a product or Remote Help deleting all the other drivers and junk in the registry.  will NIS or NAV remove this stuff in the reg?

AllenM
Topics: 221
Kudos: 2,151
Solutions: 377

Hi CorbinDallas25,

I understand where you are coming from.

However I would suggest following Quads advice on this. This is what Quads does and he is an expert on malware and rootkit removal.

Naturally it is up to you but I would recommend you follow the advice.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14)