Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
terryd

Startnow.com virus

I got the Startnow.com virus on my Chrome browser.  It is a redirectional virus which won't let me navigate, and keeps sending me to various other websites.  I finally just stopped using Chrome and I uninstalled it from my computer.   After a couple of days I tried reinstalling Chrome from Google's website.  Startnow.com was there again, so I am assuming it is lurking somewhere on my hard drive although Norton didn't pick it up.  What do I do?  I am currently using Explorer as my browser, but it seems to be acting oddly too.  Is there something out there which will help me get rid of this virus?

TylerDurden
Topics: 9
Kudos: 33
Solutions: 6

Re: Startnow.com virus

Download Norton Power Eraser from here and run a scan:
http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx?lcid=1033

After the scan you will see a screen similar to this:

On that screen you can decide if a file is infected and needs fixing or not. If you are unsure, you can click on the "Scan" button to scan it a second time using another detection method. And if you are still unsure, click on the filename and the program will give you even more details:

Odds are the file is fine and doesn't need "fixing" unless if Norton gives you the red flag warning.

If you have questions, come back here and ask.

--TD

"The brain is useless. We must find another brain." Dr. Henry Frankenstein (1932)
terryd

Re: Startnow.com virus

Thank you so much.  The Norton Power Eraser is an awesome program.  Everything seems to be resolved.