Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
ButchB

Strange Icon for NIS on Taskbar??

My NIS 2010 Icon in the Toolbar(on right of desktop) has changed. It now appears to have eyebrows. One on top of another. Along with this in the Taskbar(on left of desktop) an NIS icon appears everytime I change from my wifes account in WIN7 to mine.

This just started out of nowhere.

WIN 7 Premium 64

NIS 2010

Thanks,

ButchB

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Re: Strange Icon for NIS on Taskbar??

I suspect that the change in the icon may be because silent mode is enabled in your settings.  It may also show up in the taskbar until such time as the silent mode is turned off.  Let us know if that is the issue.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Contributor
ButchB

I got rid of the eyebrows from my Icon on the right by changing the settings for silent mode back and forth than restating my pc.

But the large icon on the left still appears every time I wake my pc or change to my account on it. Its the icons that if you lay your cursor on it it shows other folders open. Its like my NIS keeps opening and staying on.

Yaso_Kuuhl
Kudos: 1,437
Solutions: 528

Hi ButchB,

It looks like you're seeing the same icon as the poster in this thread over here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Icon-in-system-tray-question/td-p/184...

As delphinium said, your eyebrow icon ( :smileywink: ) is most probably the Silent Mode icon. There is a list of other Norton icons in the thread I have linked to above; maybe you can find the other icon you mentioned listed in it?

Contributor
ButchB

Yes setting all settings to default( which I never changed) along with  a couple of restarts got rid of the silent mode icon.(eyebrows)

But in Win7 by the start button (on lower left of desktop) you have a couple icons pinned to the Taskbar. The NIS appears everytime I change from my wifes account to mine. It is the Splash sceen you can run all functions from NIS. (ex. scans,liveupdate,settings). This icon is not "pinned to the Taskbar" it just always appears. Why it keep coming up is what I am trying to find out. I am concerned my NIS is not operating correct.

Contributor
ButchB

OK now the eyebrows are back and no settings have been changed.

Why does this happen? I am not changing anything and there back.

ButchB

Yaso_Kuuhl

Hi ButchB,

Are you running a program (for example a DVD viewing program or PowerPoint) in full-screen mode? Silent Mode is automatically turned on when a program runs in full-screen mode.

Contributor
ButchB

Would playing a game in full screen mode be an example?

I don't watch DVDs on my PC. I do use Microsoft Office progams but not Power Point.

After a restart it goes away. Should I just set Silent mode for a time to cancel?

Thanks for the help,

ButchB

Yaso_Kuuhl

Yes, playing a game in full-screen mode is a typical activity which turns on Silent Mode automatically.

If you open your Norton Product, navigate to "Help & Support", click on Help and search for "Silent Mode", then you will find plenty of information on this feature and how to adjust it.

Contributor
ButchB

Alright, if playing a game in full-screen mode activates Silent Mode automatically when does Silent Mode end.

Is it suppose to close when I go back to my desktop? I didn't see anything in the Help pages about that.

Thanks again,

ButchB