Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Sunfox
Accepted Solution

Symantec Intrusion Prevention plugin crashing IE7

[ Edited ]

I noticed today that IE7 is instantly crashing/closing when I tried to load a particular site. I'm running XP Pro, fully updated, have rebooted, and have run Live Update on NIS2010. It didn't happen in IE7's No-Addins mode, so I started disabling plugins to see what was the cause.

Turns out it's the Symantec Intrusion Prevention plugin... disable that and the sites load without crashing. I appear to be able to leave the other Symantec plugin enabled as well.

The sites (actually specific pages on certain sites) I've noticed so far are:

http://ca.ingrammicro.com/corporate/corporate.jsp

http://www.roboform.com/php/pums/rfprepay.php?lic=default

Any ideas? It crashes IE7 without an error message, so I don't know what other information I can include.

Edit: I got it to throw an error, but the contents weren't that useful (couldn't be cut and paste and were a massive long list of loaded files). With this error, the event viewer did log the following:

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.17091, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x05959df2.

Again not especially useful.

Yaso_Kuuhl
Kudos: 1,437
Solutions: 528

Re: Symantec Intrusion Prevention plugin crashing IE7

[ Edited ]

Hi Sunfox,

Although Internet Explorer 6.0 and later are supported by Norton, I suggest that you update IE 7.0 to IE 8.0 (you should be offered this update via Windows Update); updating your software to the latest version frequently solves such problems and also ensures that you keep your security current.

In addition, as a user of NIS 2010, you can upgrade for free to NIS 2011:

http://updatecenter.norton.com/

Sunfox

I'm not a fan of IE8's font rendering and am trying to avoid it until I have no choice (ie. I go to W7). And at that point I'll probably end up using Firefox or Chrome.

I upgraded to NIS2011, and the problem remains. However, I noticed that when I installed it, it did *not* re-enable that plugin, despite the fact that it re-enabled a couple other things that I had disabled... and there are also no warnings or anything about that item. Disabling/re-enabling various features doesn't seem to affect the status of those plugins.

Does it actually do anything important?

Visitor
Janarchy

[ Edited ]

I am having a similar problem as of this morning. I can load certain pages, but if I click on a link to go to another page within that domain (i.e eBay.com, mail.yahoo.com), it shuts down immediately with any error messages.

I am running Windows XP with IE7 and NAV 2011 (which has been installed for a few weeks). I have enough headaches with IE8 on my other computer which runs Win 7 so am not going to upgrade to IE8. I've been through all my add-ons and only the Symantec Intrusion Prevention addon IPSBHO.DLL is the culprit.

VeryBadSoftware

[ Edited ]

We are having exactly the same problem with Norton and that 1 DLL and IE7.

Norton is even crashing our browser on common, simple, totally safe sites, that are used by millions of people like:

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

No, the 'solution' isn't "oh, just run a different browser" or "run a different version of Norton".

(Or change browsers again, and again.)

IE8 is awful. 

We don't mind if *YOU* like IE8, but we just hated its new (very odd) "features".

(Besides, the company has NO intention of upgrading 80 machines, just due to a Norton bug.  Company policy is to drop the *CAUSE* of the problem:  Norton.)   

We've applied *EVERY* Windows patch as of today.  The problem continues.

We also will NEVER use Norton 2011.   (Besides, it also has the same problem, and more.)

Norton just has far too many problems.  Always.   And now it's even crashing our entire browser, right from start-up.

Awful.

Visitor
techonecs

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same issue as the parent.

I'm an I.T. pro, and I've had three calls from users at three different locations, all with the same problem.  Two of them are using Comcast's Norton Security Suite, and one is using Norton Internet Security 2011.  Disabling the Symantec Intrusion Prevention plugin fixes the problem.

Hopefully Norton can get an update out soon that will take care of this, or provide a real fix (IE8 is not yet an option for many of my clients).

Update: Four more computers at two different locations with this issue.

buckaroo

Same problem. Have over 1000 users reporting this, all on IE 7 and XP. Disabling intrusion add on in manage add ons fixes it.

Happening on multiple https websites.

Visitor
test23t42t342t

It is definitely a problem with the latest IPS Definition update and IE7

I've informed Symantec Corporate Support and Norton Customer Support.

2 Work Arounds

1) Disable IPS Plugin in IE and funcitonality will return - Not Adviseable in my opinion but can be done.

2) Upgrade to IE8 and then the plugin will work like normal.

Ultimately, Norton/Symantec will more than likely just tell people to update to IE8, but hopefully they come out with a patch.

Tim_Lopez
Topics: 353
Kudos: 1,512
Solutions: 890

All,

We're investigating the cause of this issue and are working towards providing a solution to those who are affected. 

I will provide more information on this as soon as I have it. 

Keep an eye on this thread for updates from Symantec regarding this issue. You can subscribe to this thread to receive email updates when replies are posted. For more information on that, see THIS POST

Sorry for the troubles this has caused you. Please know we're working hard to find a solution and correct this as quick as possible. 

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
Visitor
techonecs

Thank you, Tim_Lopez.