Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
JYMRY
Accepted Solution

Symantec Service Framework

NIS 2013  installed (following expiration of NIS 2012) and works well on an ASUS computer but generates "Symantec Service Framework (SSF) encountered a problem and needs to close" message repeatedly whenever NIS 2013 is active (email, scans, editing NIS features, reading messages on Norton Community, etc.) on a Compaq Presario SR1130NX (AMD Athlon XP 3000+) XP Home sp 3 with 2 GB ram.  I manually installed a shortcut to the Quick Launch Toolbar to quickly restart NIS 2013 after each SSF error message and to re-display the NIS icon in the notification area. Disabling Norton Anti-Spam had no effect.

If I remove NIS 2013 can I use the Add/Remove program or should I use the Norton Removal Tool.  My purchase of NIS 2013 was valid for 3 PC's.  When I reinstall 2013 how does the activation/verification feature count reflect that this is a reinstall on my second computer and not a third computer install?  Can I avoid the Norton Removal Tool procedure which will affect other Norton products on my computer (Ghost 12) by making some registry corrections or re-load a file or update the program in some fashion?  

Thank you for your help.

razvan

Re: Symantec Service Framework

Same problem here. Even when I try to finish the procedure of Norton Identity Safe I get also the message ,, Symantec Service Framework has encountered a problem ......''

Run uninstall tool from norton and reinstall the same norton product N.I.S. 2013, run update, all the updates available, and nothing, I get the same message ,, Symantec Service Framework has encountered a problem ......''.

Run Trend Micro HijackThis and still nothing.

I have format my HDD and reinstall the N.I.S. 2013 and nothing, still the same message i getting.

I am out of ideas, pls. help .

My P.C. Win. XP. SP. 3.

Visitor
JYMRY

Some progress:  Restored operating system drive to a previous image file containing a now expired copy of NIS 2012.  Updated NIS 2012 to NIS 2013 letting NIS 2013 do the uninstall.  The new install of NIS 2013 appears to be working well with the exception that the Symantec Service Framework error reappears, reproducibly, upon exit from Microsoft Office Outlook email.  Disabling the AntiSpam in Settings/Network/Message Protection eliminates the Symantec Service Framework error upon exit from Office Outlook.   Enabling AntiSpam consistently generates the error message. 

Visitor
JYMRY

The Norton Removal Tool can be used to try a clean install.  Two applications of the Removal Tool are recommended to completely remove remnants of the original program. 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080710133834EN_EndUs...

Contributor
Loopie

Same problem on all XP machines I use. The only way I could work around it was to uninstall NIS2013 then reinstall NIS2012. I just keep it at 2012 with my new 2013 license and no problems. I just can't use Identity Safe because the license was upgraded to NIS2013 on my Win7 machine.

Loopie

Visitor
JYMRY

Renewing NIS 2012 with the NIS 2013 license ultimately solved the Symantec System Framework error for me.  However, the renewal/update turned out to be  NIS 2013.

I had difficulty getting NIS 2013 to accept the license and updating 8 of 8 updates but was successful after NIS 2013 detected and repaired errors in my Host File.  Ghost had previously detected at least one line (127.0.0.1 om.Symantec.com) of concern.

After the Host File repair the license issue and updates proceeded smoothly and there have been no further Symantec Service Framework errors.