Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
zoddtheimmortal
Accepted Solution

Symantec and Norton act like a virus

The Norton and Symantec updater shows up twice a day on my computer and it is agravating me, typically freezing my computer and force shutting down any programs I had running until I acknowledge it , I would like to stop the daily reminder messages without uninstalling norton. I tried to email Norton directly , but after trying to filter through the website for an hour I think this would be the fastest route.

So in conclusion

-Symantec reminder and updater shows up 2 times a day

- I want to stop being reminded without having to uninstall norton because someday in the future I might get norton,

Visitor
zoddtheimmortal

Re: Symantec and Norton act like a virus

I'm sorry if my last post comes across as rude, but I just lost about two hours of work because of a norton/symantec reminder and nothing I've tried so far seems to have fixed it.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

zoddtheimmortal wrote:

I'm sorry if my last post comes across as rude, but I just lost about two hours of work because of a norton/symantec reminder and nothing I've tried so far seems to have fixed it.

That's OK -- we know frustration ....

To get you the best advice, would you give us some more information about your system:

What version of Windows are you using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit as well as the Name and Version ID of the Norton product that you are using -- Help / About is where that is, in the format of nn.nn.nn.nnn

When we know what product you are using you'll probably get moved into that Forum for better exposure to other users but you won't lose track because you'll find a link here to the new location. Tech Outpost is intended for computer problems that are not Norton related.

Hugh
Visitor
zoddtheimmortal

Thank You very Much for replying huwyngr,

I'm using Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium,

32 Bit system

The product seems to be Norton Internet Security 2008 (tm) Version 15.5.0.23

I hope this will get us pointed in a better direction,

Thank You

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

zoddtheimmortal wrote:

[ ... ]

I'm using Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium,

32 Bit system

The product seems to be Norton Internet Security 2008 (tm) Version 15.5.0.23

[ ... ]

Thanks -- those numbers match up for 2008 I'm pretty sure since  2010 is 17..... (17.5.0.127 is current).

I guess one of those popups will be telling you that you can upgrade free of charge to that current version and you might want to consider that seriously since 2008 was pretty much of a dog from what I remember in terms of loading the system which is the last thing you want with VISTA.

NIS 2010 is even more lightfooted than 2009 which was already a vast improvement on 2008? If your subscription is valid for a while yet all you have to do is download and run this file:

New NIS 2010:

Click on this link -- NIS 2010 This will download a single file of around 90MB which you should save on your hard drive where you can use it again if necessary -- Do not select Run but use Save when asked and remember where you put it!

I suggest you Right Mouse Click on the file when you are ready to install and select Run as Administrator. It will automatically uninstall the existing version but will ask if you want to save settings for a reinstall or clean up completely.

Just bear in mind that AntiSpam is now integrated into NIS and not an add-on and that the system now used is totally different so antispam settings will not be inherited, except for your address book if you told AntiSpam not to block any addresses in the book.

I don't think 2008 had the Identity Safe (I don't use it) but if it did and you used it make sure you back up the information you have in it.

Make sure you have a note of the activation KEY and of your ID and log in for the My Norton Account so that the new version can get that KEY.

One thing that NIS 2009 has which could help you with what you describe and that is a setting called SILENT MODE that you can activate for various periods of time up to the full day and then popups etc won't interrupt your work. It comes on automatically if you go to Full Screen (F11) so that videos and games are not interrupted.

Hope that helps but if you have any questions do please ask .... preferably before doing something rather than after!

Hugh
Visitor
zoddtheimmortal

My subscription is expired,

I am not at present interested in renewing it,

I also occasionally recieve a live update pop up screen that kind of takes over as well, I believe it is related to Norton, could you present a solution to stop the live update and norton subscription renewal reminder pop up windows? Do you think that the new download will clear away the problems I have?

Visitor
zoddtheimmortal

I'm sorry to ask redundant questions, but I'm not the most computer savy person

Super Phishing Phryer
Vejdin

Hi!

You will not be able to update to the newer version as you don't have an active subscription. Also, there is no way to stop the subscription renewal notice. As for the live update reminder, could you post a screenshot about it, or you should see some options like - remind mi in 1 week, or never remind me, not sure but take a look at the notice.

Visitor
zoddtheimmortal

Thank you,

now lets talk about removing Norton and Symantec prodcuts from my computer, how would I go about it?

Super Phishing Phryer
Vejdin

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry that you have decided to remove your Norton Product. If you have other Norton products and want to remove NIS only, you should remove the program using Uninstall/Remove program from Control Panel. Otherwise,  all you have to do is to download and run the Norton Removal Tool and reboot your computer. Note that all Symantec/Norton products currently installed on your computer will be removed.

In future, I recommend you to try the latest version - NIS 2010 - it's fast and even more powerful. You can download a free 30-day trialware from Symantec's website.