Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
JolietJake
Accepted Solution

Symantec service Framework has stopped working

Hi.

Upgraded to Norton Anti Virus 2011 yesterday and when I click on the performance tab, once the GUI switches round it sits there for an age before a window with 'Symantec service Framework has stopped working' pops up.  I have to close the program but when I do that the GUI disappears.

I can't bring the GUI back up without a reboot.  It wont run scans while the GUI is gone from Programs > Norton > Run Quick Scan. 

2 instances of ccSVCHst.exe are still running in Process Explorer when the GUI is gone but I can't scan anything.

Had no such issues with NAV 2010.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium with all the latest updates.

Thanks

Regular Contributor
Niko233

Re: Symantec service Framework has stopped working

[ Edited ]

Yes-yes-yes! get tired to send (automatic) error report (standard, via drwin.exe or something sound like this windows utility).

for me it was usually some time after I choose to execute Full System Reputation Scan

Sym. Service Framework got down for 5-7 times since I uninstall NIS 2010 (on 17.7 engine) via NRT and install NIS 2011 18.1.0.37 on about 10-13 September 2010.

(Norton Tamper Protection was enabled always, like always enabled agressive boot-up, heuristic and SONAR modes)

no idea why.. all must be untouched and configured to maximum-enabled protection.

sal.PNG

sal.PNG

sal.PNG

sal.PNG

sal.PNG

sal.PNG

sal.PNG

sal.PNG

After that one ccsvchst.exe process, all Norton windows opened before, sys tray icon are gone. File insight (via context menu on .exe said that application is not executed)

Thinking that 18.1.0.37 is the stable build?

During a whole year of using NIS 2010 that was only for 3-4 times.

---

Running WinXP Prof. SP3 English up-to-date (all updates are installed, including MS .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, 3.5 SP1, 4.0 and updates for this) 32bit

Super Spam Squasher
Bombastus

JolietJake wrote:

Hi.

Upgraded to Norton Anti Virus 2011 yesterday and when I click on the performance tab, once the GUI switches round it sits there for an age before a window with 'Symantec service Framework has stopped working' pops up.  I have to close the program but when I do that the GUI disappears.

I can't bring the GUI back up without a reboot.  It wont run scans while the GUI is gone from Programs > Norton > Run Quick Scan. 

2 instances of ccSVCHst.exe are still running in Process Explorer when the GUI is gone but I can't scan anything.

Had no such issues with NAV 2010.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium with all the latest updates.

Thanks

I had that exact thing happen a few months ago, with NIS 2010. The exact same thing as you describe. Only fix was to uninstall and reinstall.

Super Contributor
derbomber_redux

Hi Jake,

This seems that there are some remnants for the previous version of Norton Antivirus remaining on your computer.

Download the Norton removal tool here

And download the NAV 11 here

Try this.

Cheers!

There is a Hell. Believe me I've seen it.
There is a Heaven. Lets keep it a Secret.
Contributor
JolietJake

Thanks guys.  Uninstalling with the Norton removal tool and reinstalling worked a charm!

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hello

NAV/NIS 2011 were created to install over NAV/NIS 2010 without the use of NRT unless you had some problems with the 2010 versions or unless there was a previous security program installed before you went to the 2011 products.  There have been reported problems when you use the NRT for the removal of 2010 products when there were no problems with 2010 and you are keeping the same type of product.. If you are switching  between NAV to NIS, then you need to use NRT after the usual removal using the control panel.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Contributor
JolietJake

Hi floplot  I used the inbuilt installer/updater in NAV 2010 and got the problem I described when I tried to use NAV 2011.  Using the uninstaller to uninstall NAV 2011 then reinstalling it worked fine for me.

Regular Contributor
Niko233

for me it is not help. prev. version NIS 2010 17.7 was uninstalled using the last on the beginning of september Norton Remaval Tool, and after reboot of computer it was started by me again and reboot... soall prev. version's stuff must be deleted.