Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Fatbluntsallday

TURNING OFF NORTON INTERNET SECURITY, NOT DISABLE, HELP.

Hello everyone, i have searched on google for some help but i cant seem to find any, hopefully someone on this forum
can help me out, please and thank you.

What im trying to do is COMPLETELY TURN OFF NORTON INTERNET SECURITY.  NOT DISABLE.

I use to be able to turn it off by opening task manager, going to the services, and stop the norton internet security.

Ever since i update to this new version i cant seem to stop it, when i right click it, i click stop service
and i am propmted with a window saying the following:

this operation could not be complete

ACCESS DENIED

The reason why im trying to turn it off is because, i use pro tools le (a music software)

when norton is on, it seems to slow down my program, when i turn it off (before) it will make my music software run flawlessy

PLEASE HELP IF YOU KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS ISSUE.

P.S I AM LOGGED IN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Thank you, Bryan.

Regular Contributor
BanMidou

Re: TURNING OFF NORTON INTERNET SECURITY, NOT DISABLE, HELP.

Hi

Disabling Each of Norton`s Components may help

Their is no way to turn off Norton Completely,

You can Turn off tamper Protection In the Settings and Try to Terminate it via task manager But I doubt Norton Processes will be terminated

Midou

AllenM
Topics: 221
Kudos: 2,151
Solutions: 377

HI Bryan,

Welcome to the Norton Community.

Please tell us more about your system What version of NIS (Norton Internet Security) do you have? You can find this from Support > About or Help & Support > About depending on your product year. Also what version of Windows and SP (service pack) do you have and is it 32 or 64 bit?

There is no way to completely disable NIS. To be able to do so, so easily could cause malware to infiltrate your system. But I am sure we can solve your problem in the correct way if you give us more information about the problem you are having.

What type of music software are you attempting to use in which you feel NIS is causing problems? Please tell us exactly what software you are using so we can best assist you. Do you receive any sort of error message? What precisely happens when you attemp to use this software?

Attempting to completely disable NIS is not the answer. Even if you were able to do so, you would then be much more vulnerable to getting malware onto your system.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14)
Visitor
Fatbluntsallday

i actually did it, well one of the technicians did it, but thank you for both of your responses, i appreciate it.
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,675
Solutions: 759

I still think you should follow up on what AllenM has to say.  It may not be necessary to disable the entire program.  A less drastic measure would leave you better protected.  If it turns out that shutting down NIS is the only way, then so be it - but you really ought to examine other possibilities first.

AllenM

Fatbluntsallday wrote:
i actually did it, well one of the technicians did it, but thank you for both of your responses, i appreciate it.

HI Bryan,

Do you really want to leave yourself completely unprotected while you run the music software you are having a problem with?

You rely on NIS to protect your computer and it simply cannot do that if you completely disable the purpose for its very existence!

Please give us more information so that we can attempt to help you resolve this in the correct way.

Your choice.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
floplot
Topics: 209
Kudos: 2,014
Solutions: 361

Hello

Here is an article about pro tools, however, we don't know which version exactly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Tools

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

AllenM

Hi Bryan,

If you are also running an older product year of NIS, this could also be causing the problems you are having.

Please let us know and we can provide more guidance on getting this resolved correctly for you.

Best wishes

Allen