Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
lvsuccess
Accepted Solution

The feeling of upgrade to NIS2010

Hi All,

Recently I upgrade to NIS2010 from 2009,soon I found the speed of the computer is slow,especially for the web suffering and also for the several minute or 1minute after connect to the internet.

I already tried to uninstall and reinstall the NIS2010 once but still not satisfied with the speed of the new NIS2010,I mean the web surfing speed.:smileyindifferent: 

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,820
Solutions: 376

Re: The feeling of upgrade to NIS2010

lvsuccess,

If anything it should be lighterfooted and faster. Could you please tell us what version of Windows you are using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit. Also please check Help / About for the Version ID which is in the format nn.nn.nn.nnn   and anything else that would clarify what may be happening -- how do you connect to the internet?

That will help in helping you.

Hugh
floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

[ Edited ]

Hi Ivsuccess

Also, what browser are you using? Have you run the live update a few times to make sure you have all the updates? The program may be a little slower at first also until the program has finished all the preliminary scans it does when it is first installed. Do you have any other security programs installed like Spybot with TeaTimer turned on?

You could run a 2nd scan for us to see if perhaps you may have some malware on your computer that NIS might have missed. You could run a full scan with  the free version of Malwarebytes and then post the scan with your next post by using the add attachment feature.

Opps, forgot the link for Malwarebytes.

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is a safer location to get the program from than malwarebytes themselves because some malware creators have large lists of sites that they block. Please be careful to down load the correct program ----the FREE version of MALWAREBYTES

(Thanks to Delph for providing the alternative site)

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Super Spyware Scolder
3play

[ Edited ]

lvsuccess wrote:

Hi All,

Recently I upgrade to NIS2010 from 2009,soon I found the speed of the computer is slow,especially for the web suffering and also for the several minute or 1minute after connect to the internet.

I already tried to uninstall and reinstall the NIS2010 once but still not satisfied with the speed of the new NIS2010,I mean the web surfing speed.:smileyindifferent: 

Hello , lvsuccess!

If I were you , I would download Norton 2010 directly from www.norton.com/nis10

Please , remember this is the very latest build . Keep it for a while , this is NIS 2010's installer

Uninstall version 2009 from Control Panel -> Add or remove programs (for Windows XP) or from Control Panel -> Programs and Feautures (for Windows Vista and 7) . Reboot the machine.

Then download Norton Removal tool from www.symantec.com/nrt

Use to to completely remove all leftovers from version 2009.

Then you could clean any temporary file from the computer using CCleaner www.ccleaner.com

Please , install it and run it .

If there are any other antimalware programs or firewalls , uninstall them.

Finally , install NIS 2010 from the file you already downloaded.

Update Norton using Live Update until you see a message that no update is required.

When ready , open Norton's user interface and press "Application ratings"

Wait for a while until Norton is finished .

Perform a Quick scan .

Then download and install HiJackThis from http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html 

Run it and press  the Do a system scan and save a logfile button.

Post the logfile of HiJackThis here.

And report if Norton is still so slow.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,820
Solutions: 376

lvsuccess,

What floplot says about running everything a few times is good advice -- in particular run the Application Ratings thing to get the number of files to be checked reduced down (I get 5% need checking on a new clean installation without too many applications installed).

Hugh
Contributor
lvsuccess

Operation system:Windows XP Professional SP3

NIS2010 version:17.5.0.127

Connect to the internet:ADSL dial up 

Google Chrome 4.0

Contributor
lvsuccess

Hi 3play,

I download from this link www.norton.com/fo/ I don't know whether it's the latest...(ver17.5.0.127)

Stu Rootkit Eradicator
Rootkit Eradicator
Stu

lvsuccess wrote:

Operation system:Windows XP Professional SP3

NIS2010 version:17.5.0.127

Connect to the internet:ADSL dial up 

Google Chrome 4.0

Thanks
Did you follow the advice from Huwy?Are there any other security software installed?

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Contributor
lvsuccess

Run a application rating it say 32% need to be scaned.

Please pay attention to my hijackthis log file, I run hijack this once.

Super Spyware Scolder
3play

[ Edited ]

lvsuccess wrote:

Run a application rating it say 32% need to be scaned.

Please pay attention to my hijackthis log file, I run hijack this once.

Hi lvsuccess!

I scanned your HJT log file and in my opinion the problem is not in Norton . There are too many running things , so many start-ups and running services . Some of them might conflict with each other or with Norton .

You'd better perform some clean-up and decide what should and should not be loading at start-up.

Since you run Windows XP , you could download and run this utility

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

But the clean-up is most important . I am sure there are some unnecessary things you could disable or delete (such as ThinkPad's stuff , Lenovo unncessary applications , etc...) . You could try Norton Utilities , perform some cleaning , delay or remove some start-ups

http://www.symantec.com/norton/downloads/trialsoftware/offer.jsp?pvid=nu2010