Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
CurrentR

Trojan Virus and Java - Help

Hello,

NIS 2009 found and resolved a Trojan Virus located in "C\:Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\20..."

The odd thing is I removed Java specifically because I read it was a magnet for viruses. But this vulnerable Java folder still exists. I originally removed Java through "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel.

Have I actually made my computer less secure by removing Java this way? How can I be certain my computer is Java free or should I just reinstall Java?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Symantec Employee
Thalir

Re: Trojan Virus and Java - Help

This link describes in detail about the Virus in Java Cache directory,

http://java.com/en/download/help/cache_virus.xml

This symantec link explains the technical details of this Trojan

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2003-090514-4048-99

If you are in real need of Java application on your System please go ahead and use it. Norton will protect you from the viruses and trojans, provided you keep your Virus definitions up-to-date and scan your computer periodically.

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hello CurrentR

Here are the instructions from the Java site on how to remove Java. The 2nd step is the use of the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. You will find a link to that on the Java page also. That clean up utility should remove all of Java according to the Java website.

http://java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_java.xml

I hope this link will solve your problem in removing Java completely. However, once your computer is completely clean from the trojan, you will probably want to install Java again since a lot of sites do use Java. Just remember to keep Java updated as it does get updated quite often.

Before you reinstall Java, you may want to run a full scan with the free version of Malwarebytes to make sure that your computer is clean.

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is a safer location to get the program from than malwarebytes themselves because some malware creators have large lists of sites that they block. Please be careful to down load the correct program ----the FREE version of MALWAREBYTES

(Thanks to Delph for providing the alternative site)

Once your computer is totally clean, then you can go ahead and reinstall Java.

Good luck and please come back and let us know how you made out.  Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Contributor
CurrentR

Hello floplot and Thalir,

I used the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to uninstall all things Java. After that I ran both NIS 2009 and Malwarebytes and nothing was found. Whew! Can I assume my computer is now clean?

I may reinstall Java since I actually had no problems until, ironically, I uninstalled it. NIS 2009 does seem to do a good job of blocking Java related viruses/attacks.

One last question: does anyone know if I can safely remove the "Sun " folder at "C\:Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\Sun"?

Cheers and thanks for your very helpful suggestions.

floplot

Hello CurrentR

If the folder is empty, yes you can remove it. When you reinstall Java again, any folders that are needed will be made again during the installation of the new java. Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you made out. I would say that you are clean, but you may want to wait a day or two and then run malwarebytes again to make sure you are still clean.

Btw, if you have a current license for NIS 2009, you can update for free to NIS 2010. If you are interested in doing that, please come back and we can give you the instructions on how to do that. Thanks.

Contributor
CurrentR

Hello floplot,

If you could provide the instructions on how to update to NIS 2010, that would be great. My subscription for NIS 2009 is still active.

Cheers.

floplot

Hello CurrentR

If you are having no problems with your current version of NIS 2009, you can go to the update center and get the program that way. Please have your key handy and if you use Identity Safe, you can back up that file also.

You can go to https://www.mynortonaccount.com/amsweb/myAccountsHome.do and get your product key and also get to the update center from there.

Please don't forget to run live update until there are no more updates.  Please come back and let us know how you made out. Thanks.