Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Newboy999
Topics: 9
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 0

Trojan.Webkit!html infection. Help please

System: Windows 7 Home Premium

HP G6 laptop x64 based

Backup job using the standard Win7 utility (backing up users files from C:\ to a USB drive)l started failing yesterday reporting errors whist trying to read from the volume shadow copy.

Looking at the NIS log I discover that my PC appears to be infected with the Trojan.Webkit.html as several entries have started to appear in the “resolved” threats log – detected by Auto Protect. But it can’t be resolved as the entries keep appearing at random intervals. Example from NIS log:

Trojan.Webkit!html

Removed

No action required

Device\harddiskvolumeshadowcopy13\users\MY USER ACCOUNT NAME\appdata\local\mozila\firefox\profiles\6fxm5klf\cache\a\a6\7ed83d01

No fix attempted

I ran a full system scan using Malwarebytes and it reported no threats. I then ran a NIS full system scan in Safe Mode and again nothing was reported apart from a couple of tracking cookies.

I’ve not attempted anything further as I’m not competent enough without help. 

Can anybody help fix this? 

I have a USB stick.

Regards

Newboy

Doctor9fan
Topics: 16
Kudos: 44
Solutions: 3

Re: Trojan.Webkit!html infection. Help please

Are you scanning the usb drive &/or computer as I'm thinking that the problem is within that particular file on the backup on the usb drive & when the drive is being inserted that the virus is trying to run, if you haven't done so try scanning the usb drive.

Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Windows 8.1 64bit, Kindle Fire HD, iPhone 5s.
Newboy999

[ Edited ]

Hi:

The NIS warning I showed in my first post appeared when the USB drive was NOT connected to the PC, so I don't think the problem lies with the USB. Admittedly the first occurence of the NIS warnings (there have been 4 so far) did appear when the USB  drive was connected to the PC and the backup failed with the usual gobbledygook Microsoft error message.  So like you I initially susp[ect the USB drive but don't think it is the culprit.

So I'm perplexed

Doctor9fan

It might be worth running a full scan on the usb just to see if anything shows in any case, then running a full scan on the computer again, in both cases I'd suggest that both scans are run with the scan setting under settings>computer scan>scan performance profiles set to 'full scan' rather than standard trust.

Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Newboy999

[ Edited ]

Hi Doc,

I reran the scans using your suggested settings and no problems were reported.

No further new warning messages have appeared from NIS since yesterday.. Perhaps NIS has fixed the issue?

But I don't like mysteries so don't really trust the laptop 100% at the moment.

Regards

Doctor9fan

Hopefully it'll not return. :smileyhappy:

I know what you mean there's always a little nagging doubt that it could still be there but hidden, I can only say that if after plugging in the usb again you don't see a return of the virus & after a few weeks there's still no sign of it hopefully that'll be the end of your virus troubles. :smileyhappy:

Virginia/Doctor9fan.