Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
car825
Topics: 75
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 3
Accepted Solution

Trust Level Question

My network consists of a router and two laptops, one wireless and one wired. I care about external threats from the internet and internal threats passed between laptops.  Do the trust levels affect the way NIS09 treats external threats, or just internal traffic between laptops?

Stu Rootkit Eradicator
Rootkit Eradicator
Stu

Re: Trust Level Question

NIS 09 will keep you safe in both options
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Spam Squasher
pexley

I would not worry about the trust levels. Just leave them set to standard trust as set by default. At standard trust this only means that when norton scans files on your computer, ones that are fully trusted by norton and/or the norton community and have not been modified in any way since the last scan will be skipped. Whether or not a model has been modified is determined by norton. Like lets just say there is one very large file in your computer's registry that is trusted by norton. It is trusted because norton is comparing the file on your computer to the official, fully trusted, clean of infections version of the file. If this file does not change in anyway then norton would only be waisting time by always including it in full system scans. Keep in mind though that norton always checks to make sure the file has not in some way been changed though.
delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

If you are meaning the trust levels in the network settings, Norton responds to external threats the same way regardless of the trust levels between computers on the network.  If you want to share files, you will adjust the trust setting between each machine accordingly.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
car825
Topics: 75
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

By Trust Level I mean Shared, Protected, etc.  These are levels you set in the Network Security Map.  My question is: do they only apply to inter-PC communication (e.g., behind the router), or do they also affect the way NIS09 processes traffic coming in to the router from the internet?

Edit: I wrote this before I saw the previous post.  Thanks.  It answers my question.

Message Edited by car825 on 05-24-2009 03:11 PM
delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

Inter-PC, behind the router traffic. The purpose is to allow traffic between computers on the same network, without decreasing security.  Norton will still react to threats through auto-protect between users and the net.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain