Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
HighlandHermit

Turn Auto-protect On - but it wont let me...

Norton tells me 1 item is needing urgent attention. Turn Auto-Protect On. Fix Now. I click Fix Now and it 'fixes' for about 5 seconds before going back to 'Urgent Attention - Fix Now'.  My commputer is running slow, and some programmes are not working, like JavaScript.  Anyone any ideas? Is this a virus or a Norton fault? I am running a full system scan as I write this.... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Symantec Employee
DougL

Re: Turn Auto-protect On - but it wont let me...

Hi HighlandHermit,

A couple questions first.

1. What Operating System and Service Pack is the PC running?
  2. What version of the Norton product is installed? To check open Norton, click Help & Support, then About..

Regards,

DougL

Visitor
HighlandHermit

Thank you, DougL.

Windows XP Home Edition, 2002, Service Pack 3.

Norton Internet Security 2006, version 9.1.1.7

Norton AntiVirus version 12.8.0.4

I hope this is of some help....

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hello HighlandHermit

Are you running both NAV and NIS on the same computer at the same time? Your Norton products are quite old which could be causing the problems.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Regular Contributor
Mathew_Issac

If you have a current subscription and if your computer meets the minimum specs for NIS 2010, you can upgrade to that for free. Check this link to know more about the system requirements.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/internet-security

You can download the latest version of the product using Norton Update Center. With a valid subscription you can download and install the latest version of product.

http://updatecenter.norton.com/?NUCLANG=en

AllenM
Topics: 225
Kudos: 2,152
Solutions: 379

Before upgrading to NIS 2010, it should be ascertained if HighlandHermit has both NIS and NAV which is going to cause problems.

Also since the current version of NIS is 4 years old, it is highly recommended to run the Norton removal tool before upgrading to NIS 2010 to ensure that all the remnants of the old software are removed properly and also to clean up the computer properly from having two different security products installed.

I'm sure Floplot has not yet posted those guidelines until HighlandHermit has a chance to further respond to the questions raised.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.3.0.12
Visitor
HighlandHermit

sorry for late reply everyone - work/life/family got in the way! And thanks for all your help. Bizarrely it is all working fine now, and I've done nothing! I appreciate my version is pretty old.....but seems to be working for now! And unfortunately I have no idea if I'm running NAV and NIS at the same time! I don't think so....Sorry, I am a luddite....

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hello HighlandHermit

Please look in add/remove in your control panel and see if both Norton Internet Security and Norton Antivirus are listed there. Also, when you look at Start, all programs, what is listed under Norton? Do you see both products or just one and which one do you see? On your desktop, do you have an icon for NIS and another one for NAV?

Your old version can not do an adequate job of protecting you with today's malware that is out there. If you are running both NIS and NAV, then NAV should be removed, otherwise you are running conflicting programs.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.