Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
Melen

Unauthorized Access Blocked (open file) - Major security breach in Norton?

[ Edited ]

Past 2-3 days I have had repeated "Unauthorized Access Blocked (open file)" warnings shown up in the history log of Norton.

The "actor" file have been svchost.exe and iexplore.exe and the targets have been various files deep inside Norton folders which makes this suspicious.

I have had Norton for 3 years and I have never encountered this, I have reinstalled my computer, twice, it didnt help.

So what is this?

Super Spam Squasher
Bombastus

Re: Unauthorized Access Blocked (open file) - Major security breach in Norton?

Hi, Those are Microsoft processes, the first the core Windows process and the other Internet Explorer. When they try to read any of Norton's files or processes, they are blocked, and that entry is written to the log. It's normal.
Contributor
Melen

[ Edited ]

Norton's approach to this certainly "normal", I dont doubt that, however these incidents are not, as I said this have never occured before and I see some more people on the forum having the same issue meaning this is a problem going beyond me.

Super Spam Squasher
Bombastus

Nothing suspicious. In fact, if svchost.exe didn't come into contact with Norton's files or processes quite often, then something would be wrong.
Contributor
Melen

Do you work for Norton ?

How could you say its not suspicious if you dont know what is causing it?

I have never claimed that it is suspicious that svchost.exe may encounter Norton files (although I could make that argument for this case), I havent said that it is abnormal for Norton to approach this issues this way. What I am saying is that these incidents are suspicious and abnormal.

* 3 years user of Norton - never occured before

* More users than me encountered this lately on different Norton versions, type of computers etc

* Why would iexplore.exe/svchost.exe suddenly after 3 years want to open files?! Besides what files on my computer that DONT belong to Norton is opened and thus not logged in the logs?

Super Spam Squasher
Bombastus

They aren't trying to open files. They are reading files. And especially svchost.exe DOES read Norton's files on a regularar basis.
Contributor
Melen

[ Edited ]

Are you working for Norton?

Well for 3 years they have never done that so obviously this is not "regular" at all.

Super Spam Squasher
Bombastus

No, I just know what the system processes do.
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,788
Solutions: 774

[ Edited ]

Hi Melen,

As Bombastus said, these entries are entirely normal.  Any program attempting to access a Norton file or process will be denied - even Windows processes.  The logging of these events changes from time to time as Norton tweaks which events warrant a log entry and which do not.  It is possible that Norton has simply updated the logging to capture something that was previously not recorded.  In any event, regardless of the cause of the sudden appearance of your entries, they are not anything that would be considered unusual or worrisome.

DUIchaser

:smileyfrustrated:I too have the same issue! I have never had so many medium orange risk dots in over 5 years of using Norton products. This has been occuring for about the last 4 days to me.