Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
Dogbert

Update messed up my right click options

[ Edited ]

I just got the 16.5.0.134 update to Norton Antivirus 2009.  It seemed to install ok, but now when I right click on a file the context box is all goofed up.  There is a new method to scanning with Norton.  However, now when I right click a file the icons are on the left and then there is a LARGE space before the text associated with the icon starts.  I'm using Vista Home Premium 32 bit, 4gb Ram.   Anyone else experience this?

Example.jpg

Message Edited by Dogbert on 03-06-2009 11:00 AM
Virus Trouncer
mijcar

Re: Update messed up my right click options

I am not completely sure of what you are describing - a screenshot would help - however, I have had not changes at all in right-click behavior on my XP machine.  I am still waiting for the .5 update on the Vista machine and will report back when I get it.

mij
N360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Regular Contributor
Dogbert

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply.  There is an screenshot included with my original post.  Is it not showing up for you?  I can see it on my end.

To describe..if you right click a file the context menu comes up.  There may be some icons on the left and then the menu text right after that.  After the update my menu text is moved far over to the right .  The text is actually now being cut off because there is no more room.

Message Edited by Dogbert on 03-06-2009 12:00 PM
Message Edited by Dogbert on 03-06-2009 12:01 PM
Virus Trouncer
mijcar

Sorry - I scrolled down faster than the image loaded.

I see the problem.  I will check my Vista computer as soon as it upgrades to 16.5.

mij
N360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,822
Solutions: 376

I suspect that like any sensible user, you have PowerDesk installed as your file manager? If so this is a known fault with PowerDesk going back to last year at about the time that XP SP3 came out. At that time it cropped up when N360 was upgraded from V1 to V2; now it happens with N360 V3 and with NIS 2009 (I don't know about NAV 2009). PowerDesk have a fix for it.

Although installing the Norton products seem to trigger the problem it actually goes back to a change Microsoft made but did not themselves follow until then when it triggered off the problem with other applications.

If you do have PowerDesk installed, either do a search here in the forums using Advanced Search on [PowerDesk] and then arrange the date column in order by clicking on it. You should spot Solution messages there.

Or confirm here that it is PowerDesk and I'll look out the URLs for the fix download which is not easy to locate on the Avantqujest website.

Hugh
Regular Contributor
Dogbert

I do not have PowerDesk installed.  The problem occurs only when I right click an item on my desktop.  When I do the same thing in Windows Explorer it works the way it's supposed to.  The screen shot in my orignal post is taken from a file on my desktop.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,822
Solutions: 376

OK -- it was a longshot and I misunderstood part of what I read, or thought I read ....

Hang on for others to help.

Hugh
Regular Contributor
Dogbert

Thanks for your thoughts huwyngr.

Regular Contributor
Dogbert

An update...I unistalled Norton Antivirus 2009 and then reinstalled it.  After the reinstall my right click option on the desktop went back to normal.  I installed the available updates, but haven't received the newest 16.5. version yet.  Guess I'll wait to see if when I do get it if it goofs things up again.

Regular Contributor
Dogbert

[ Edited ]

When I got the update the right click went back to being messed up again.  I uninstalled NAV2009 with the Norton Removal Tool and then reinstalled it again with the already updated version.  Right click on the desktop is still messed up just like before.  Not sure what else to do so I'll guess I'll just have to live with it.

My experience with NAV2009 has been very good up until now.

ScreenShot065.jpg

Message Edited by Dogbert on 03-20-2009 12:34 PM