02-01-2012 04:51 PM
My original issue was the unwanted quick scan notifications, which apparently been fixed with 19.5. That was back in September.
I bit the bullet and uninstalled and then reinstalled NIS and I now have the new version. Thank you.
It took about 20 plus minutes to do, with all the scans and reboots, etc.
02-01-2012 05:13 PM
We're currently testing the fix internally to ensure that it works properly. I'll send another update when I have more information.
Thanks again for your patience!
02-01-2012 05:17 PM
Glad to hear it resolved your issue! If you need to discuss that specific issue further, feel free to post on THIS thread. If you want to jump in about being unable to get 19.5, feel free to continue posting here.
02-01-2012 10:18 PM
Sorry for the issue! Our engineers are currently testing the fix. We will update on the forums when we hear back from them.
Thanks for your continued support and patience!
Norton Forums Moderator
02-01-2012 10:44 PM
Once this problem is resolved and all customers are able to upgrade to v19.5, will Symantec provide:
1. An explanation of what caused this problem.
2. A description of the steps that will be taken to prevent similar problems like this from occurring in the future.
I think your customers need to be assured that there were some lessons learned from this problem, and that specific steps are being planned to insure that this probem does not happen again.
Standard post mortem stuff.
02-01-2012 11:07 PM - edited 02-01-2012 11:07 PM
I appreciate all the help and them trying to get this fixed, but its is yet another thorn placed in the side. I agree 110% with Geek and that we need something of a reassurance this wont happen again. I for one wont be renewing my subscription for a 3rd time without something stating the steps Geek proposed.
02-01-2012 11:14 PM - edited 02-01-2012 11:17 PM
geek47, can't but agree that confession would be good for the Norton soul here.
Validating how to get things to work without waiting::
- I could in no way get the 19.5 update. Frankly, the run-LiveUpdate-reboot sounded like just the sort of scripted answer you get on a tech support which has no understanding. The only sense I could make of it came where they said not all US servers had been updated, so possibly this time taken from anyone's day was supposed to be in search of a valid connection.
- however, like others, no results here from the procedure. Also, I remembered the little thing others reported happening here, where there was asilently failing reboot-rquiring update last week that finally did make it through - but with no visible results. Given the rest of the clues floating through, likely this was the failure that causes today's problem.
- Since I have been here before with Symantec, and since I really needed the bar back wtih Firefox, I did a disconnect internet-remove NIS 2012-reboot-install NIS2012-reconnect internet cycle. It was sufficient to do just this. I let it save my information as offered, which worked with internet disconnected after a while. I did not use Norton Removal Tool, and was successful without it, thus not losing my passwords and information.
- I had to do three manual LiveUpdate-reboot steps in succession, after the initial install - downloading over 120MB of updates and definitions overall. On the fourth LiveUpdate, only two small updates occurred, and no reboot was necessary.
- The 19.5 version of NIS 2012 was then present, according to the About. The user interface looks a little different also; emphasis on 'Management' which you can apparently do remotely now.
- Firefox 10 then showed the Norton bar again, and I was able to use Identity Safe with it successfully.
Hope these descriptions help others,
02-01-2012 11:54 PM
I can already tell you that the issue has to do with version number checking and there being some mismatches, thus the update doesn't get pulled down.
Also, we are constantly improving our procedures to keep an eye out for stuff like this.
While I can't get in to too many details about the specifics due to the confidential nature of how some things work, I can assure you that we are doing what we can to assure something like this doesn't happen again in the future.
As you can see, I've been as communicative as I can be through this whole process. I will continue to do that to the best of my abilities.
02-01-2012 11:56 PM
If you want to get to 19.5 right now, the option to uninstall and reinstall will likely solve the problem for you. If you don't want to perform an uninstall/reinstall, we should have a solution available shortly.
Sorry again for the trouble, and thanks for your patience!