Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
collaros
Accepted Solution

Virus help

Hi

After getting the backdoor.tidserv!inf infection , I have attemted to follow the instuctions as per the NAV centre. I got stuck on the Recovery console instructions:
  1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
  2. Restart the computer from the CD-ROM drive.
  3. Press R to start the Recovery Console when the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears.
  4. Select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  5. Enter the administrator password and press Enter.
  6. Type CD System32
  7. Press Enter
  8. Type Expand %DriveLetter%\i386\advapi32.dl_
  9. Press Enter
  10. Type exit
  11. Press Enter. The computer will now restart automatically

Step 8 is the confusing one for me as I do not know EXACTLY what to type????? Subsequently my machine "seems" to be running fine and NAV is not picking up anything but when I tried to run a defrag and chck for disk errors, I received a message saying that the NTFS boot sector is unreadable! I am thinking that this is a  result of not completing the Recovery console step when removing the virus.

Please can someone help me as I have battled for 12 hours now. A month ago fossy710 had a similar problem but I do not know if that solution will be the same for me

Look forward to your expert advice

Paul

delphinium
Kudos: 2,964
Solutions: 293

Re: Virus help

Hang in there for a bit Collaros, I just want to make sure that I don't make anything worse, before I ask you for any scans.  I will advise.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Contributor
collaros

OK
delphinium

collaros:

When you come online again we will require a GMER scan.  Please scan ONLY

http://www.gmer.net/

After it is downloaded to your desktop, right click on the icon, go to properties, and click unblock and apply.

You will be able to attache the log produced to your next post by using the "add attachments" link below the orange post button.

Mark Twain
Contributor
collaros

Hi

I had to do the gmer scan in SAFE mode as it kept hanging in normal mode. I have attached the log file and await your reply. Thanks again.

delphinium

Collaros:

You have a rotscx rootkit infection.  Quads will be along later to request a different kind of log to enable him to find all of the files.

It will be a three part remediation that will require you to follow his directions exactly.  It will take a bit of patience, but the repairs where the user followed directions have been successful.

Mark Twain
Contributor
collaros

Hi guys

Still await reply?

Contributor
collaros

Hi Delphinium

Thanks for the reply. Can you give me an idea of time for Quads. It is 9:10PM my time

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Hi

I am getting there, I am reading the log plus the Norton security response page where you got the instructions

Quads 

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Hi

Now

1.  Download Combofix  to your Desktop, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix  

Don't use yet.

2. I have Personal Messaged you the script between the lines, look for the yellow envelope at the upper right hand side.   Copy the Script.

3.  Open Notepad and paste it in to notepad with the first line being killall::

4. Save the script as "CFScript.txt"       CFScript.txt is what you see on your desktop after saving.

5. Disable Nortons Auto-Protect and Firewall.

6.  Drag and drop CFScript.txt on top of Combofix.exe, like when you drop files into the recycle bin.

7. Combofix will start,  When it is scanning don't move the mouse cursor inside the box, can cause freezing.

Quads