Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
nicholas00020

Virus not allowing me to connect to internet=>norton cant log-on to one-click support

ok so I know my computer is infected with some type of virus or trojan and malware.  I have Norton internet security 2010 installed on my computer but it wont load to the once-click support page.  I double-click the norton internet security icon and the one-click support page comes up and i click continue for it to connect to the server, but it never gets to 100% and says no internet connection was detected, and I know for a fact my internet is working, but i think the virus must have knocked it out, because it worked before the virus got on my computer but know trying to load firefox just comes up with "page cannot be diplayed" no matter what website u go to.   So basically if i could get on the internet i know norton could scan the computer and fix the problem, but it cant even connect to the internet to fix anything, so that is my dilemna.  I have Windows XP Pro 32bit and im using a college wireless connection.  Any ideas how to fix this???

Contributor
nicholas00020

Re: Virus not allowing me to connect to internet=>norton cant log-on to one-click support

anybody???? help needed as quickly as possible

Super Spam Squasher
hvgsel

Re: Virus not allowing me to connect to internet=>norton cant log-on to one-click support

[ Edited ]

Tell us more about your installation : operating system, Service Pack, version of NIS 2010.

Can you use your browser to surf the internet?

Did you install NIS before or after the virus infected your system?

I assume you are on another system now :

Download the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware from :

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware

Copy it to your system, install and update it untill no more updates avaialable.

Then run a full system scan and post the results here.

Hope that will solve your problem.

W8.1 / W7-SP1 with IE11 / XP3-SP3 with IE8 and FF 28, TB 24.4, NIS2013 21.1.1.7 and N360 21.1.1.7
Contributor
nicholas00020

No my wireless says im connected but i cant browse the internet at all.  I installed Norton after the virus was on the computer and since i cant connect to the internet i cant download any other programs.  I'll try the malwarebytes thing.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,687
Solutions: 760

Hi nicholas00020,

You can also use another computer to download the new free SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner, which will come pre-updated with the latest malware definitions, so you will not need to have internet access on the infected PC.  SImply copy the program to a USB drive or CD and run it on the ailing machine. 

http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html

Contributor
nicholas00020

ok im going to try the malewarebytes first.  And the virus wont infect my USB drive when i put it in my computer???

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,687
Solutions: 760

nicholas00020 wrote:

And the virus wont infect my USB drive when i put it in my computer???

Some malware will do that.  But no matter what program you use, you're going to have to transfer it somehow from a PC with internet connectivity to your infected computer.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

One reason why you may not be able to browse the internet at all is,

'I installed Norton after the Virus (Malware)'

Quads

Contributor
nicholas00020

what do u mean by "i installed norton after the virus" quads?......u saying the virus infected norton?  Ok and so i put malewarebyutes on the computer, but double-clicked it and nothing happened, it didnt load anything.  I think at least some of it is off the computer, because the thing that kept popping up was called malware defense which i found out was a fake antivrus software.  Thankfully i didnt buy it or click anything for it to try and clean my computer so i found it in add/remove programs and deleted it.  And now i dont see any more pop-ups, however i doubt thats its actually fully gone cuz i still cant get on the internet:(     im thinking on trying that porgram called winsock to see if it can find whats wrong with the internet.  I cant think of anything else but to try that and then maybe that superanitspyware thing somebody said before.  Then if it still doesnt work im thinkin a system restore might fix it?

Contributor
nicholas00020

Do you think the virus destroyed or altered certain files thats causing me not to be able to get on?....and norton still isnt loading either........