Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Malacath

Re: Webcake 3.0 malware.

lmacri wrote:

Malacath wrote:
I did a web search and found this http://virusremovalstation.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/is-web-cake-30-malware-how-to-remove.html .  This website claims that webcake steals bank details.

Quads wrote:
Viruses are Malware so there is no difference.

... and not all malware is a virus.

This is a quote from the website Malacath referred to:

"Usually, the Web Cake 3.0 will use system vulnerabilities and security exploits so that to invade innocent computers without your permission or knowledge. Moreover, Web Cake 3.0 steals your personal and financial information and sends it the cyber crooks for they illegal purposes."

I can't speak for Malacath, but if I thought I had malware on my system that was able to steal my banking passwords, that it wasn't detected by my NIS anti-virus protection, and that it could have been detected by MBAM but wasn't because NIS uninstalled MBAM from my system, I'd be pretty peeved too.

I think the issue here is whether NIS missed detecting a high-risk info stealer. I don't believe that's the case, and I hope that we've put Malacath's mind to rest that their system security was not severely compromised when NIS failed to flag a low-risk potentially unwanted program/app (PUP/PUA) like WebCake.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 24.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40 * MBAM PRO 1.75.0.1300
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

I am relieved to know that webcake doesn't steel bank details like it's said on that website.

But yes I am annoyed that Norton removed malwarebytes pro. As that would have protected me.

Trouble is this webcake seemed to have added other browser hijackers to the system as well like delta search, babylon toolbar and something else I can't remember the name of. Norton didn't block these either.

Norton shouldn't claim to be an unwanted program blocker in the windows action centre if it's not going to block unwanted programs and it certainly shouldn't have uninstalled the one program that wound have prevented these PUP malware from getting on my system in the first place.

They were a nightmare to get rid of as they kept coming back due to the fact that whenever I opened the webbrowser an extension in firefox would reinstall them. It only after uninstalling Norton and switching on Windows defender that I was able to work out that an extension was doing the reinstalling.

lmacri
Kudos: 534

[ Edited ]

Malacath wrote:
But yes I am annoyed that Norton removed malwarebytes pro. As that would have protected me.

Hi Malacath:

If you decide to keep NIS as your primary anti-virus software, you can keep MBAM PRO installed on your system as long as you disable the real-time protection in MBAM PRO.  Having two or more anti-malware programs monitoring your system in real-time wastes system resources and can actually decrease your system security.  If malware ever attempted to infect your system and both programs simultaneously attempted to block the malware, the conflict could compromise your real-time protection and allow the malware to infect your system.

MBAM Protection Settings.jpg

I've had NIS and MBAM PRO installed on my PC for several years now.  I always have real-time protection disabled in MBAM PRO and use MBAM PRO for the occasional on-demand full system scan.  I've also scheduled a MBAM Quick Scan to run daily (Settings | Scheduler Settings | Add) with the options Wake computer from sleep to perform task and Save log file regardless of user settings both enabled.  This way if any low-risk malware was missed by NIS, it would likely be detected during my daily MBAM Quick Scan.

You can also schedule MBAM PRO to run updates to automatically keep your protection up-to-date.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 24.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40 * MBAM PRO 1.75.0.1300
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Visitor
Malacath

Thanks.

Ive decided not to go back to norton. I feel safer having both real time protection of mbam running as well as anti virus and ive checked and both windows defender on win 8 and mse on win 7 can work side by side with mbam pro without impacting performance. All I need to do is add exclusions for mbam in the anti virus settings.

I would rather the likes of delta search and webcake didnt get on my system at all because by time an ondemand scan finds it its too late

lmacri
Kudos: 534

Malacath wrote:

...All I need to do is add exclusions for mbam in the anti virus settings.

Hi Malacath:

However you decide to proceed is entirely up to you.  There's a FAQ thread here in the MBAM forum listing recommended MBAM exclusions for popular anti-virus software like McAfee, Norton, Microsoft Security Essentials, etc. if you haven't already seen it.

------------