Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,797
Solutions: 778

What To Do When Scareware Strikes

We have all either experienced first hand or read here in the forums about those alarming windows that pop up while you are browsing that try to frighten you into downloading a program to cure the viruses and spyware it claims to have discovered on your computer.  Responding correctly to this unnerving threat can keep you from getting infected.  Brian Krebs has posted an article today on his Washington Post Security Fix blog about What To Do When Scareware Strikes.  I'm sure many here will find it helpful and informative.  
huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,824
Solutions: 377

Re: What To Do When Scareware Strikes

Anyone know him well enough to get Norton Forums added?

If you still need help, consult a forum: Computer help forums such as BleepingComputer.com and DSLReports' Security Cleanup forum can be a lifesaver (BleepingComputer often has step-by-step instructions for removing specific scareware threats, such as this one designed to help victims of PolicePro, the rogue anti-virus product du jour).

Hugh
Bot Obliterator
Quads

Scareware is not as bad as Ransomware

Quads 

Rootkit Eradicator

Quads wrote:

Scareware is not as bad as Ransomware

Quads 

I also agree with Quads here; "Scareware" just shows Threats that are on your computer, but dealing money, i.e. Ransonware, for example, will be more frightening to the User.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Stu Rootkit Eradicator
Rootkit Eradicator
Stu

True but these guys are sending people to other forums.

I believe Sendofjive wants people to be advised to come here

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
SendOfJive

Many of the rogue antivirus infections we see here are the results of people not knowing better and clicking in the malicious pop-up.  I'm just hoping that people will read Mr. Krebs advice and not get infected in the first place.
Rootkit Eradicator

SendOfJive wrote:
Many of the rogue antivirus infections we see here are the results of people not knowing better and clicking in the malicious pop-up.  I'm just hoping that people will read Mr. Krebs advice and not get infected in the first place.

That's one reason to have N.I.S. 2007 and Newer, which includes Phishing Protection.  Just remember, though, that Norton may not Detect all the Fake Web Sites, but will Detect quite alot of them. 

And just remember that Norton AntiVirus 2009/2010 does not have a Firewall, so this is possible where customers are Infected because they are un-aware that Norton AntiVirus 2009/2010 does not have a Firewall.

At the Time of Writing, Norton 2010 Products were Not Released.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
car825
Topics: 75
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 3

The article says to close IE with task manager.  Would Cntl F4 work as well or is task manager safer?
SendOfJive

Floating_Red,

To quote from the article:

Typically, they are the result of scripts stitched into legitimate, hacked Web sites, or into banner ads that scam artists stealthily submit to some online ad networks.
Respectfully, anti-phishing and firewalls will not protect you from this type of threat.  This is one case where an informed user offers the best defense.
Rootkit Eradicator

alt + F4?  This is Safer than trying to get the T.M. to Open as, during that time, the Threat, Mis-Leading Application, could have caused more damage; plus, most Threats now prevent T.M. from Opening, so it's good to get in to the habit of using alt and F4 - plus, it could stop Infection.