Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
KLThor

What is best alternative to Windows Live & Outlook 2010 that works with Norton Internet Security?

Currently we are looking for alternatives to Outlook 2010 and I tried Thunderbird as an open source and free email pkg and everything was working great until I installed Norton Internet Security 2011 and the email scanning would not work and is not supported by Norton.

I am not a fan of web mail as I often need to access my mail folders while not connected to the Internet. So Windows Live and other web mail apps do not meet this requirement.

I am looking for an email app that is supported by Norton 360.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

KLThor

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Re: What is best alternative to Windows Live & Outlook 2010 that works with Norton Internet Secu

Hello KLThor

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

Are you using NIS 2011 or N360 as both are mentioned in your Thread and post? Email scanning will not work if you are using ports other than 25 and 110. However, you are still being protected. Unfortunately, Win 7 hasn't made it easy to use email since they got rid of OE. I believe that there are many people who use Thunderbird and the Norton products. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

PC_confused
Topics: 120
Kudos: 120
Solutions: 28

Re: What is best alternative to Windows Live & Outlook 2010 that works with Norton Internet Secu

If I can ask a question, isn't Microsoft Outlook supported by NIS 2011 and can't Outlook also be used to read mail messages off line?  I understand you would need to log online to download or send mail messages, but once messages are downloaded aren't they are stored on your PC? 

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

I was using Outlook Express in XP but now in WIndows 7 I'm using Windows Live Mail as reasonably close -- and it took my message base nicely from the Windows Easy Transfer file.

The thing about "Not supporting" is not that it does not work checking incoming and outgoiing mail -- it does work in detecting and dealing with it and it will sort it into Junk (or Norton AntiSpam if you prefer) if you just add a message rule using: Subject contains Norton AntiSpam.

There is no Spam button on the WLM toolbar (too many useless buttons and no essential ones like Print) but Right Mouse click gives you access to choices like This is Spam / Not Spam and blocking domains etc.

Hugh
Visitor
r1wigs

I use Thunderbird and it works fine.  I did an Eircar test on it and it caught it right away. It also targets some spam and removes it to the junk file. I am happy with it so far. 

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

And you can make a Norton Spam folder in Thunderbird too if you prefer to stick with that. I did that when I tried Thinderbird but I was a bit put off when someone said that all messages in Thuncerbird were in one single file and so if anything went wrong with that file -- and attack on one message or just bad luck -- you lost your entire message base.

I don't know if that is true or not so ...... FWIW

Hugh