Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Spam Squasher
boneidle

Why, do we need to use, "Malwarebytes".

I keep seeing the advice in this forum to, "run malwarebytes". which brings me to the following

1 What does 'Malwarebytes' do that Norton cannot.

2 What are Norton doing to make their Security Program robust enough so that Malwarebytes is not needed.

As this is all to do with the security of PC data, I feel that Norton/Symantec should be working towards becoming the " 'Total' Security Protection Company", where there is no thought of needing or using other Prog's to rectify security problems.

I'm fully aware that I might get a few 'kick backs' here but felt that I had to ask.

If I'm barking up the wrong 'Tree' here, I'm sure some of you will put me right.

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Re: Why, do we need to use, "Malwarebytes".

Hi boneidle

Malwarebytes is often suggested because it's a on demand scanner. Every security program scans based on different definitions. With the speed and complexity of changing malwares, there is really no way for one security program to keep up with all the changing malwares out there. No security program can catch 100 % of everything that is out there.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Re the 1st question

I think it is fair to say that at this time there is no one all singing all dancing, bells & whistles, AV/security product. We could say otherwise when it comes to photo editing, or spreadsheet creation, email client. One hopes that any of the Norton av products are sufficient for the general user but it is clear that some users get themselves into deep trouble which at that point is simply too much for Norton alone to resolve or perhaps users need extra comfort that a particularly nasty bug has actually been fully removed.

In the real word (cf digital word) we see similar examples when an ill person decides to obtain a 2nd opinion. Why should one doctor provide a better or different prognosis than the other?

Super Phishing Phryer
Brubaker

Hi boneidle,

I take your point, but floplot and cgoldman are correct. It's really not possible for any one program to be all things to all people.

I view NIS and similar programs as tools -- and I have a lot of them. Sometimes there's an apparent overlap, as with NIS and Malwarebytes, but each is doing things a bit differently. Given that Malwarebytes is free, it's scarcely a problem to have it available and run it when needed.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,964
Solutions: 293

Hi Boneidle:

Malwarebytes is useful for several reasons. 

Because it is provided by a completely different developer, the definitions are different.  This allows it to find or handle some things for which Norton has not had the information available.  This makes it a good cross-check against the main security suite.  Since it should only be on-demand, it does not interfere with Norton products.  Even if Norton was the most absolutely perfect product in the world, it is still useful to run a scan with different defs.

The other thing that makes it useful, is that MBAM is able to correct registry items.  Where one antivirus might just take out the infection, leaving something unuseable because of registry damage, MBAM is able to reverse some things, change the value back to what it should be.  It also has relatively few false positives. 

Another thing it does, which we all appreciate, is provide a log of the quarantines, deletions, and/or changes, so we can see what else needs to be done, if anything.  This gives the user the ability to often identify a rootkit, or one of the new .tmp and .dll infections.  Sometimes the information gained is of more value than the actual removal of infections.

I hope that explains it.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Super Spam Squasher
boneidle

Thanks for the replies.

Just threw this one in the pot to see what came out

Thought perhaps others might be wondering same.

Being a fan of Norton, (creep creep), which I think is one of the best in this game, I just had to ask.

Perhap Norton will add another Link to their quite extensive Chain and bring out a similar Prog., then again, perhaps not.

Still, if they did, I'm sure it would be a good 'un, and another Beta to test.

Virus Trouncer
mijcar

[ Edited ]

floplot wrote:

Hi boneidle

Malwarebytes is often suggested because it's a on demand scanner. Every security program scans based on different definitions. With the speed and complexity of changing malwares, there is really no way for one security program to keep up with all the changing malwares out there. No security program can catch 100 % of everything that is out there.

A whole bunch of good answers, but this one was first and I like it.

One thing not directly mentioned by the other posters:

We recommend malwarebytes in extreme circumstances.  A poster HAS a virus on his computer at the moment.  So we know it slipped by Norton.  It may even have found a way to interfere with Norton, especially if Norton's Tamper Protection is not on.  (The powerful malware out there deliberately searchs for and attacks the most well-known and popular security programs, which means that Norton would be an early, probably first, target for such malware).

With the clock ticking and Norton help currently out of the picture, we grab at another powerful resource hoping it too has not been disabled.  If you read a lot of the pleads for malware-removal help, you will see that even backup resources like Malwarebytes might be blocked on the infected computer.  So then we suggest other freebies, hoping they are still operable or might recognize a signature of the infecting malware in a different way than Norton currently does.

And because the clock is ticking and time is important, it is a good idea to keep a copy of Malwarebytes on your computer and to regularly update it.

It's also a good idea to read how new infections are dealt with.  One such post showed the importance of NOT rebooting when you think you are infected, because rebooting further propogates the virus.  My own strategy in the past -- if I think the virus is active and doing damage while the clock ticks -- is to do a forced power off, even at the risk of losing some data or damaging a file.  The intention is the same, to keep whatever bombs have been put in place for a reboot from detonating when I turn the computer back on.  Sometimes, but not always, a power off accomplishes that.

Another idea might be this.  If you can live without your computer for a day or two, put it into hibernation or suspend it.  When you turn it back on, there might be a lot more fixes available if this is a new infection.

Message Edited by mijcar on 11-25-2009 12:57 PM
mij
N360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Contributor
Airblower

hi,

I ahave beeen using malwarebytes way before i bought Norton NIS. it is free and traps alot of Malware that others can't.

That's why! :robothappy:

shannons
Topics: 50
Kudos: 115
Solutions: 8

car825
Topics: 75
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 3

I know it's easy to install Malwarebytes, but how easy is it to uninstall?  Is there a removal tool like Norton provides if something goes wrong?