Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
paulwright
Accepted Solution

Why is Norton customer support so poor?

have they diverted money away from supporting customers?

Are they going bust, and need to save the money?

There must be some reason for it.

Maybe the senior management are all hoping for a payout when they are bought by a company that knows what it is doing.

any ideas?

dickevans

Re: Why is Norton customer support so poor?

paulwright wrote:

have they diverted money away from supporting customers?

Are they going bust, and need to save the money?

There must be some reason for it.

Maybe the senior management are all hoping for a payout when they are bought by a company that knows what it is doing.

any ideas?

Hi,
I'd guess the answer is none of the above.

Sorry your experience wasn't all that great but if there's anything we can do here to assist please feel free to ask. With the exception of those names in BOLD RED letters we're all volunteers.

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Regular Contributor
joen

[ Edited ]

pw:

>  have they diverted money away from supporting customers?

>  Are they going bust, and need to save the money?

>  There must be some reason for it.

>  Maybe the senior management are all hoping for a payout when they

>  are bought by a company that knows what it is doing.

de:

>> I'd guess the answer is none of the above.

I'd guess that that's not a good guess.

----------

Symantec's New Business Plan Involves Layoffs, Refocused Products
By Steve Johnson
mercurynews.com
Posted:   01/23/2013 06:52:08 PM PST

MOUNTAIN VIEW — Hoping to revitalize itself, information security company Symantec on Wednesday said it will streamline its operations, simplify its products and focus more on solving its customers' biggest problems.

Part of the plan will involve what the company termed “a reduction of the workforce,” including “fewer executives and middle management positions.” But Symantec officials declined to say how many of its 20,500 workers would lose their jobs and what percentage of them would be in the Bay Area, where it employs about 3,000.

Symantec, which announced the plan along with its third-quarter fiscal earnings, also said it would pay its shareholders a cash dividend for the first time, and split the positions of chairman and chief executive.

CEO Steve Bennett will remain president and board member Dan Schulman will become chairman.

Bennett, former CEO of Intuit, was named Symantec's boss in July, replacing ousted CEO Enrique Salem, to help re-energize the company. He said his plan, which will be put into effect over the next two years, was needed because Symantec had become “underperforming” and its employees “a bit demoralized.”

In a note to his clients following the announcement, Technology Business Research analyst Allan Krans said Symantec's revenue has been lackluster for more than four years. But with Bennett's plan, he added, “by the middle of 2014, we expect to see Symantec emerging from the current mold of flat financial performance.”

In its earnings report, the maker of Norton anti-virus software said its sales for the third quarter totaled nearly $1.8 billion, up 4 percent from the same period a year ago. It said it earned $212 million in profit, but that was _down 12 percent_ from a year ago.

----------

pw:

> any ideas?

If Symantec charged $1 for every uninstall and reinstall, they'd out-earn Apple and Exxon.

It's time for Quads to quit his day job and start a new business.

ProTruckDriver
Topics: 69
Kudos: 135
Solutions: 19

Interesting article joen. Maybe that is the reason Norton Employees hardly answer here on the forum. When I report Spammers on Safe Web (that is on the Safe Web Site and not on this forum) nothing is done. :smileyfrustrated:

Norton Safe Web Reviewer with over 16,000 Reviews.

"The world is full of nice people…… If you can’t find one, be one." :)

Contributor
jmhbpc

... not a direct answer to your question, but just wanted to mention: While, in my experience, nothing compares to support boards for the Mac platform, I was please to see that this  Norton board is pretty robust.

I can recall some Windows system board that had one year lag times between responses.

So I would give this board a thumbs up. 

Contributor
paulwright

After a month they spent 3 hours on the phone with me and solved my problems.  My only question is why does it take a month?

I do appreciate the efforts of volunteers on boards like these that often solve problems that should done by company employees.  For most of my problem the only help I got was from volunteers, though the Symantec support guys eventually got me working again.

But i say again, why did it take a month?

Contributor
paulwright

Didn't realise how right I was about Symantec's problems.

Cutting back on support will not help.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,861
Solutions: 379

paulwright wrote:

After a month they spent 3 hours on the phone with me and solved my problems.  My only question is why does it take a month?

I do appreciate the efforts of volunteers on boards like these that often solve problems that should done by company employees.  For most of my problem the only help I got was from volunteers, though the Symantec support guys eventually got me working again.

But i say again, why did it take a month?

Perhaps if you told us what the problem was -- symptoms and how it was solved -- we might be able to comment on why it took so long.

Certainly anything that involves a bug in the Norton product absolutely has to go through a series of tests to endeavor to ensure it does not break anything and if you think about the permutations and combinations of software and hardware out in the community of users then I sometimes wonder how they manage to do it.

Hugh
Visitor
jay23

Some new malware likes instructing hardware to do a random write delete and overwrite. The problem here is that Some SATA drives on the market although fast are only hardware writen to sequentially write and read. When the Malware gets into the system it attempts as I have said above to random rewrite which on these drives causes havoc and thrashing. Before long you either get a plonk or a smoking machine. Software is not supposed to damage hardware but when bad software gets into the system and does run havoc no tech support in the world is going to help anyone. It is not the Antivirus vendors fault and it is not the hardware vendors fault unless they have left that door open for the source code to be rewritten.

The Antivirus and security market is very dynamic at present and marketting is very difficult. Unless you have a very good product that covers every range of system available you are like a drunk falling off the wagon. Everyone knows the market is going towards SSD and WROM based Operating systems. Eventually when you buy a new operating system it will be delivered either by a PCI board or directly to your system over the Net. But it will be writen to your system on ROM which will be updated much easier than downloading patch after patch etc. When this comes about you will see Security systems delivered the same way so there is no way of anything getting into the system apart from what you as a user allow. Now the market is waiting, who is going to jump first?

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,861
Solutions: 379

What goes round, comes round ....

Nice to think that my Tandy Model 100 portable back in 1983 had all its system on a ROM and booted up instantly ..

Hugh