Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
tst2000

Will I lose Norton (which I downloaded online) when I restore my computer

Hi,

I think I have viruses that Norton Power Eraser did not solve. I want to restore my computer to factory settings and reload my software. However, I bought Norton online and downloaded it so I do not have a disk. Will I lose my Norton when I restore to factory settings and am I able to get download it again without having to pay a second time?

thanks,

Ted

huwyngr
Topics: 1,002
Kudos: 2,719
Solutions: 368

Re: Will I lose Norton (which I downloaded online) when I restore my computer

When you restore to factory condition you will lose any files you have put on the computer, not just Norton but including data files, images and so on as well as applications you have added, say like Microsoft Office.

But the good news is that there is no problem in your getting it back again and installing it .... but you need to tell us exactly what Norton product(s) you have installed: Norton Internet Security, Norton AntiVirus or Norton 360 (and if N360 is it Standard with 2 GB or Premier with 25 GB of free online storage). Also if you have any other Norton products installed and whether you have the installation files/disks for them.

AND -- when you restore to factory condition you put back any programs that came preinstalled on your computer which usually include a security program, sometimes but not always Norton. So we need to know what that program is so that it can be uninstalled and then all traces cleaned up using special tools you can download from most makers of security software -- we can point you in the right direction if you tell us what came preinstalled. If you don't know tell us the make and exact model ID of your computer and we may be able to look it up.

So let us have some information please -- a good idea to tell us the following:

What version of Windows are you using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit as well as the Name and Version ID of the Norton product that you are using -- Help or Support / About is where that is, in the format of nn.nn.nn.nnn where n is a number.

Please also say what internet browser you are using -- name and version number ...

Hugh
Contributor
NEPfan2012

Re: Will I lose Norton (which I downloaded online) when I restore my computer

You do not have to restore your computer to factory settings to remove a virus. There are several options and tools to remove a virus without going through such drastic measures. First of all what makes you think you have a virus? Are you being redirected? Is there a program which keeps popping up?