Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
tolbiny
Accepted Solution

Will Optimizer Job automatically run in background?

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

I renewed subscription for NIS a week ago and updated to NIS 2010. Everything works well. Under Norton Tasks, Background Jobs, there is a job called Optimizer. Is this job supposed to run automatically like all other background jobs?

Thanks,

Jerry

<<Edit: Subject edited for clarity>>

Message Edited by JerryM on 10-01-2009 12:01 PM
Norton Fighter
mdturner

Re: Optimizer

Yes it should if you have it set up to do so.

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,294
Solutions: 263

The Optimizer task will trigger during Idle time like any other background task but it will only run if your disk drive is above the defragmentation level; currently this is 10%.  If your disk is only 8% fragmented then the Optimizer will not run, for example.  It will only run when it can do you some good.
Win7 x32 SP1
Contributor
tolbiny

That explains why it hasn't run yet. Thanks.
Super Phishing Phryer
drshlomo

:smileyhappy:

tolbiny Hi,

In my experience, it analyses the "C" disc; I have other discs and partitions on my computer which are not analised. 

drshlomo.

dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,294
Solutions: 263

drshlomo -

If you are running XP, then the Optimizer will only defrag the boot disk (C:\Windows actually).  This is MS design not a Norton design.

Win7 x32 SP1
Super Phishing Phryer
drshlomo

:smileyhappy:

dbrisendine Hi,

Thanks for letting me know.

Actually, I mainly use Windows 7 but presumably the same applies, but anyway my main concern is to keep the boot disk as defragmented as possible, so all is well.

Cheers,

drshlomo.