Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
nwadams

Windows 2000 and Internet Security 2006 virus definitions

I have a Windows 2000 computer with Internet Security 2006 installed. The subscription has 271 days remaining. Automatic Liveupdate last downloaded virus definitions on 01/07/2013 (July 1st). Since then neither automatic or manual liveupdate will download definitions. Internet Security constantly reminds me the definitions are out of date and runs Live Update without success. Looks like support for this combination has been discontinued. Is there any way I can get the definitions updated in fulfillment of the subscription?

yank
Kudos: 2,064
Solutions: 471

Re: Windows 2000 and Internet Security 2006 virus definitions

Just a wild guess - are your date, time and time zone correct on your system clock?

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,687
Solutions: 760

Hi nwadams,

Symantec product support generally runs 7 years to end-of-life, and I see no definitions updates listed for anything older than 2007 products here.  I think you've ridden this pony as far as it can go.

Visitor
nwadams

Date, time and time zone are all correctly set.

Visitor
nwadams

I can understand support expiring at some point. Seven years seems a bit arbitrary. However I consider it inappropriate for Norton to take a full year subscription for support when they must have known that support would be dropped a few months later.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,180
Solutions: 305

nwadams wrote:

I can understand support expiring at some point. Seven years seems a bit arbitrary. However I consider it inappropriate for Norton to take a full year subscription for support when they must have known that support would be dropped a few months later.

I can understand your concern that a renewal was accepted for an older product about to expire. But, you have always had the opportunity to upgrade to a newer version of your Norton product, at no cost. 

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Visitor
nwadams

peterweb wrote:

I can understand your concern that a renewal was accepted for an older product about to expire. But, you have always had the opportunity to upgrade to a newer version of your Norton product, at no cost. 

Upgrading to a later product was not an option. Internet Security 2006 was the latest version which would run on Windows 2000.

Norton Fighter
Krusty13

Hi nwadams,

If I were in your shoes I would be contacting Customer Support and explaining the situation.  There is no promises they will be able to offer a refund, but worth a try.  You can reach them by Live Chat using your keyboard at www.norton.com/chat.

Let us know how you get on.

W W W  =  Wild Wild West.    Be careful out there!

F4E
Kudos: 547
Solutions: 118

[ Edited ]

nwadams, I appreciate cost may be a factor, but if you can afford it, get your computer upgraded to Windows 7 or 8, and you'll often find a trial copy of the latest Norton Internet Security included. You owe it to yourself to have the latest and greatest in terms of  protection. NIS 2006 is good, but now very dated. The current version of NIS V 20 is very stable, and well worth considering.

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.2.0.38
Visitor
nwadams

F4E wrote:-

I appreciate cost may be a factor, but if you can afford it, get your computer upgraded to Windows 7 or 8, and you'll often find a trial copy of the latest Norton Internet Security included. You owe it to yourself to have the latest and greatest in terms of  protection. NIS 2006 is good, but now very dated. The current version of NIS V 20 is very stable, and well worth considering.

I totally agree Windows 7  and Norton 360 v20 are very good and stable. I know because that's my setup on my latest computer. That's where I run almost everything. The critical word here is 'almost'. I have a few legacy devices which windows 7 just does not like. As soon as I can find workarounds for the last few problem devices or replace same I will be retiring or upgrading the W2K machine to W7 or W8. Until then it would be nice to have up to date virus definitions on the W2K machine. That is after all what Mr. Norton accepted my hard earned cash for.