Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
Zigor

Windows 8.1 and no compatibility.

I just installed windows 8.1 preview (via windows store) and I noticed that NIS just disappear. So I tried to install it again, but when launching installer, windows show notification about incompatibility. After ignorig this message NIS installer tells me that installer was launched using compatibility mode. I'd checked that in installer properties, but all compatibility options are disabled.

There will be any new installer to get NIS 2013 working?

Super Spam Squasher
hvgsel

Re: Windows 8.1 and no compatibility.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Any-reports-of-compatibility-issues-w...

Already addressed....next time, plse search first

W8.1 / W7-SP1 with IE11 / XP3-SP3 with IE8 and FF 28, TB 24.4, NIS2013 21.1.1.7 and N360 21.1.1.7
Contributor
A55A551N-11B3P

Do yourself a favor and don't use NIS with 8.1...it won't work.

I was using 8.1 and then discovered that NIS 20 wasn't compatible, so I tried the NIS 21 Beta and that was even worse! When I imported my Identity Safe data, none of it was actually imported, and worse, as I clicked through the settings, there were a lot of '<function> placeholder' everywhere! Absolutely nothing worked. I ended up going back to Win8 and NIS 20.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,000
Kudos: 2,713
Solutions: 368

A55A551N-11B3P wrote:

Do yourself a favor and don't use NIS with 8.1...it won't work.

I was using 8.1 and then discovered that NIS 20 wasn't compatible, so I tried the NIS 21 Beta and that was even worse! When I imported my Identity Safe data, none of it was actually imported, and worse, as I clicked through the settings, there were a lot of '<function> placeholder' everywhere! Absolutely nothing worked. I ended up going back to Win8 and NIS 20.

Do yourself an even bigger favor and don't install the Preview of WIndows 8.1 unless you have a spare machine and time to play. If you install it on a working Windows 8 machine you will have problems when the final TM version is released and you want to install the real McCoy.

Hugh
Contributor
A55A551N-11B3P

[ Edited ]

yeah, no feces?

there isn't any real reason why NIS shouldn't work...it's not like I jumped from WIn98 to Win8, and from every review, it's supposed to be an update to the Metro-side of things.

but even then, the NIS 21 beta is absolute crap, even by beta standards.

Regular Contributor
Ballistic

@ A55A551N-11B3P

Win 8.1 Preview has been released. It's a beta version. The official release is scheduled for around late December of this year.

That gives 6 months for security vendors to work on compatibilty issues.

No security vendor supports beta versions of software. That's what beta testing is all about. Many, many changes will be made to Win 8.1 before it's released to the public.

Regards,

Win8.1 x64, NIS 21.2.0.38, AMD A6-5400K APU and 6GB RAM
Contributor
A55A551N-11B3P

Gee I didn't know that. Thanks, Sherlock. This isn't my first dance.

But while 8.1 is pretty solid, the NIS Beta is nowhere near that...it shouldn't even be called a beta...maybe it should be called "some fecal matter we through together over an LSD-fueled weekend".

Even MS will tell you that 8.1 = 8, only refined...i.e. the METRO side. This shouldn't have affected NIS at all.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,000
Kudos: 2,713
Solutions: 368

<< ... there isn't any real reason why NIS shouldn't work...  >>

If you read the message Tony posted, Microsoft has said they will fix the problem in the next update to Windows 8.1 .

So it's not a question of NIS not working but of Microsoft dropping another one and preventing it from  working.

So please address all complaints to the management...... of Microsoft.

Hugh
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,675
Solutions: 759

A55A551N-11B3P wrote:

Even MS will tell you that 8.1 = 8, only refined...i.e. the METRO side. This shouldn't have affected NIS at all.

No, what MIcrosoft actually said was this:

Windows 8.1 Preview and Windows RT 8.1 Preview are stable and have been thoroughly tested, but aren't the finished product. Your PC could crash and you could lose important files. You should back up your data and you shouldn't test the preview on your primary home or business PC. You might also encounter problems like:

• Software that doesn’t install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs.

• Printers, video cards, or other hardware that doesn’t work.

• Difficulty accessing corporate or home networks.

• Damage to some of your files.

You should carefully balance the risks and rewards of trying out the preview before you install it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-faq

Super Spam Squasher
hvgsel

@A55A551N-11B3P

And besides the fact that it's BETA : it's not only the Metro side, which has changed, there are also changes in good old Explorer and so on and so on...'under the bonnet' there is always more, than you see and MS will tell you.

Plse read some announcements and analyses on ZDNet and/or Techrepublic first, before you make such statements about 'only refined' and 'it should not have affected NIS at all'.

W8.1 / W7-SP1 with IE11 / XP3-SP3 with IE8 and FF 28, TB 24.4, NIS2013 21.1.1.7 and N360 21.1.1.7