Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
LukeBuxton59

a248.e.akamai.net

Can anyone tell me what a248.e.akamai.netis i got redirected to it from hotmail on my ipod touch?

and then my ipod gave me a warning about it

Regular Contributor
ferenzzz

Re: a248.e.akamai.net

flush your dns..

to flush your DNS, assuming you are using Windows:
hit START
select RUN
in the RUN box, type CMD and click OK
You should now see a command prompt (black box)
in the command prompt type: ipconfig /flushdns [then press ENTER]
that's it!
to close the command prompt box, type: EXIT [then press ENTER]
Hold your breath, say a prayer, face west, and try Facebook again...

Visitor
LukeBuxton59

Thanks for the quick answer

sorry im not very good with computers

will this dns flush do everything on my modem then because its the ipod touch its giving me the  a248.e.akamai.net link when i sign into hotmail and says it's untrusted?

Visitor
LukeBuxton59

Anyone?

twixt
Topics: 8
Kudos: 146
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 16

[ Edited ]

LukeBuxton59 wrote:

Thanks for the quick answer

sorry im not very good with computers

will this dns flush do everything on my modem then because its the ipod touch its giving me the  a248.e.akamai.net link when i sign into hotmail and says it's untrusted?

Hi, Luke.  Flushing your DNS cache is simply removing information about your past browsing.  It is similar to emptying your temporary internet files in your web browser.  It's just housekeeping.

Symantec use the akami net throughout the world as local servers for their live-update process.  This is purely for practical reasons - if everybody descended on the Symantec servers - all at once - whenever an update was released - it would swamp the feed to that server farm.  There's just way too many people using Symantec products to ever hope to have one and only one place serving the public with Symantec's live-update files.  So, there are local servers that cover a particular area of the globe.  The one that serves you uses the address you stated.  Somebody else halfway around the world would use a different one - but both your server and the one halfway around the world are still part of the akami net.

So, a question.  What piece of software warned you about akami.net?   If it was something other than a Symantec product, then it is probable that product is giving you a "false positive" - which is the name for a piece of software screaming about "the sky is falling" - when there's nothing wrong at all.   Chicken Little and all that.

So, a little more info is required.  Just exactly what software is screaming?  Are you up-to-date with that software?  Is your iPad up to date with its patches from Apple?  You know, all the standard housekeeping things.  ferrenz is warning you about doing only one piece of possible housekeeping.  There are others, as I have discussed.

Having things "out of sync" between software versions when dealing with stuff from multiple vendors is a common source of false positives.

It's good that you came and asked questions.  The problem could have been serious, and if you don't know it is way better to ask than to fall victim because you didn't bother to check things out.  Hopefully, if you can give us a bit more info, we can figure out what exactly is going on.

Hope this helps.

twixt
Topics: 8
Kudos: 146
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 16

Followup on the above:

If that error message came from Firefox - see the thread  as follows:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/quot-Malicious-Web-Site-Blocked-quot-...

Following the instructions in that thread fixed things up nicely.

Hope this helps.