Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
delphinium
Kudos: 2,964
Solutions: 293

Re: cannot access N.I.S 2009

Knoks:

Your uiStub.exe is pointing to the wrong version.  If you notice in the picture that Dbrisendine showed, the correct version is 16.5.0.134 or 135 depending on when you updated your Norton.  Please check under Help & Support> about  in your Norton main screen to determine your actual version.  When you find it, you will need to go to your shortcut, browse and change the 16.0.0.125 to  the correct version.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Visitor
Knoks

Thanks, I managed to create a shortcut called uistub and it finally opens it.Thanks for all your help!!!
Bot Obliterator
Quads

Hi

You can open the properties of the shortcut like in the screenshot above and change the "target" and "start in" locations. The click "Apply" etc.

Quads 

Visitor
chcltninja

i'm having the same problem but when i try to change the target location, start in, and even try clicking on the other tabs like compatability, all i'd ever get is a window pop up saying The folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security Engine\16.0.0.125' specified in the Start In box is not valid. Make sure that the folder exist and the path is correct.

much appreciations forthe help

delphinium
Kudos: 2,964
Solutions: 293

Go to "My computer">c:>program files>Norton Internet Security>Engine. The engine should have the latest version of 16.5.0.135. Double click on that to expand the file.  Down near the bottom you will find uiStub.  Right click on it, create shortcut, and drag the second one out to your desktop.

Probably the easiest method.  If you find another engine number other than what is listed above, please get back to us.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Bot Obliterator
Quads

What is the (X86) for in "Program Files (X86)" directory path??

Quads 

Visitor
chcltninja

first off idk what the (x84) is. its a new comp that i just got yesterday, what i do know is that when i was oredering it online it asked if i wanted the 640 gb harddrive and in parenthesis it said (performance) so like a gullible kid i got it. but ya the whole shortcut thing worked, thank you very much for that. the only other thing i have left is that when i open my start menu and click on any of my norton stuff all i still get is that window that says "the item 'uiStub.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed, or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly" Do you want to delete this shortcut?" do i just delete the ones in my start menu and forget about them or is there a way to resolve this issue. thank you once again for the quick intelligent replies
dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,294
Solutions: 263

What version do you have of Norton?  If you can get the main screen to open then the version number is located under Help & Support > About.  It may be something like 16.5.0.134 or 135. 

Click on START and go to the Norton program group.  Expand it and right click on each listing; choose Properties.  In the Target box, edit the text there from say \16.0.0.125\ to the version number you saw in the About box; \16.5.0.135\ .  Then click OK.  Do this for each item in the Norton start menu.

Desktop Shortcut details.png

Win7 x32 SP1
Visitor
chcltninja

ya i finally saw the problem, the version that was typed in in mines said 125 and i changed it to 135. thanks for that. another problem is that i had already accidently gotten rid of the shortcut that was for liveupdate, and the icon for the main norton is some weird file looking icon. i'm pretty sure you got the solution for this problem also. thank you much for all the help so far.
dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,294
Solutions: 263

Go to START > Norton Internet Security and expand the group.  Right click on the Norton Internet Security menu item and choose COPY.  Then right click on the main Norton Internet Security list (above all the others we are working on) and choose paste.  Right click on the one just pasted and select Properties.  To change the icon, click on Change Icon... and browse to find the uiStub.exe file.  Here is the rest of the Live Update settings; you can manually edit these.

Live Update Settings.png  Notice the /lu on the Target line.

To correct the icon for NIS, browse for settings.dll instead of uistub.exe.  Then choose the proper icon.

Win7 x32 SP1