Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
papasto
Accepted Solution

cannot open yahoo mail attachments

I can open attachments using my other local webased email account fine, but I cannot open any attachments using yahoo mail, either the beta version or the old version. Is it because yahoo email is running Norton and I am also running Norton when the attachments is scanned??  I've noticed other people are having similar issues when I google or search this type of problem. Thanks
Bot Obliterator
bjm_

Re: cannot open yahoo mail attachments

Hi papasto

re>  I cannot open any attachments using yahoo mail

What Norton product?

What Browser?

Any chance you are using FF and NoScript?

bjm_

Product Update Announcements  NIS21.5 VistaSP2 FF31 IE9 Compaq A931NR

Visitor
papasto

I'm using NIS 2010, IE8. I switched to FireFox to see if that would solve the problem but it didn't so I have removed FF from my PC.  I don't know what you mean by if I am using NoScript??

Thanks

Bot Obliterator
bjm_

[ Edited ]

Hi papasto

Since you asked about the conflict between your Norton product and Yahoo Norton...have you tried turning off NIS10 email scanning to see if a conflict exist.   I do not perceive a conflict as I have NIS email scan On... but, convince yourself.  Turn Off NIS email scanning and see.....

Thanks for the update...I asked about FF and NoScript because FF and NoScript has a common simple work around for allowing yahoo attachments...as your issue is with NIS10 and IE8.  We have a starting point.  Is issue new with NIS10...what security product did you have before NIS10 & did you have similiar issue.  Is your Yahoo mail via your ISP. If from your ISP...your ISP will offer free help.   This is Yahoo Mail Help Site http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/    has search bar - type ~ Attachments ~  Have you explored this option?

If your issue only started with the install of NIS10 please report back.  Trying to determine if your issue is your Yahoo account or Norton Product or IE8.   If issue is with your Yahoo account. I have yet to come across an issue that Yahoo has not already answered at their Help Site.  Does issue apply to all types of attachments or is it specific to for example PDF or jpg or ? attachments.

Thank you for your patience.  If you feel issue is related to Norton product. Please report back ASAP.  

bjm_ 

When you open an email, the "header" section just above the message shows who the message is from and what attachments they sent you. The names of the attachments are links you can click to either open and view, or download and save to your computer. For example, if someone attached a wedding photo to their message, you'll see something in the header section like 'WildWedding.jpg'.

If you click an attachment, a window will open telling you if a virus threat was detected in the attachment. If no virus threat is detected, you can choose to click either the "Download Attachment" button or "Cancel."

Click the "Download Attachment" button. Another window opens, asking you if you would prefer to open or save this file. Opening it lets you view the file without saving it to your computer; saving it puts it on your computer's hard drive. You can also click "Cancel" if you'd like to exit this window.

Message Edited by bjm_ on 11-20-2009 05:05 PM
Message Edited by bjm_ on 11-20-2009 05:22 PM

Bot Obliterator
bjm_

Hi papasto

I'm gonna' go out on a limb here and offer....your other web based email account does not have the attachment issue.  That basically eliminates your browser, your Norton product and the application used to view the attachment as causal to the issue.  I respectfully, suggest the Yahoo attachment issue is in your Yahoo account. I have run Norton and used Yahoo mail for years.   When I had a problem in my Yahoo account...the answer was in my Yahoo account.  Now, if all your web based email accounts would not open attachments.  That still points more to a browser or to the app used to view the attachment than to your Norton product.  All opinions expressed are the sole property of the author and as such are subject to change at any time.  

Please report back....ASAP  

bjm_

Virus Trouncer
mijcar

papasto wrote:
I can open attachments using my other local webased email account fine, but I cannot open any attachments using yahoo mail, either the beta version or the old version. Is it because yahoo email is running Norton and I am also running Norton when the attachments is scanned??  I've noticed other people are having similar issues when I google or search this type of problem. Thanks

I see you are already getting some advice.

If you check it out and find it presents a solution, please come back here and let us know.  It helps us and our visitors to know as much about the problems that Norton didn't cause as it does about those it did cause.

Thank a lot.

mij
N360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Visitor
papasto

Thanks again. Tried some of your suggestions (turned off norton antivirus), searched the yahoo mail help site - various suggestions I tried but no solutions, though it seems like I am not the only one who has attachment problems on Yahoo.  All types of files do not open, wmv, pdf. jpeg. One thing, I have my laptop home from work, was able to open yahoo attachments without any problem - laptop is running mcafee.  So once again I believe it may be some type of norton antivirus in yahoo conflicting with norton antivirus 2010 loaded on my PC. I guess my next step would be to uninstall Norton from my PC and see if the attachments open again.  I'll wait unitl I hear from you bjm one more time before i try this next step.

Thanks

Virus Trouncer
mijcar

papasto wrote:

Thanks again. Tried some of your suggestions (turned off norton antivirus), searched the yahoo mail help site - various suggestions I tried but no solutions, though it seems like I am not the only one who has attachment problems on Yahoo.  All types of files do not open, wmv, pdf. jpeg. One thing, I have my laptop home from work, was able to open yahoo attachments without any problem - laptop is running mcafee.  So once again I believe it may be some type of norton antivirus in yahoo conflicting with norton antivirus 2010 loaded on my PC. I guess my next step would be to uninstall Norton from my PC and see if the attachments open again.  I'll wait unitl I hear from you bjm one more time before i try this next step.

Thanks

Of all the possibilities that occur to me,papasto, that seems least likely.  My understanding of the yahoo filtering is that it occurs when Yahoo gets the email, not when you later encounter it, which is when the local scanner would be beginning its analysis.

mij
N360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Tech83
Topics: 55
Kudos: 170
Solutions: 27

Hi! All,

I have encountered the same problem upon contacting Yahoo tech support it was discovered that the mail server was having trouble verifying my system's IP Address.  It is Yahoo's security measures that kick in to prevent unauthorized access; for instance I cannot access certain e-mail messages from a different computer with or without an attachment.  I would suggest also downloading from Yahoo their messenger program which provides the e-mail servers the proper IP Address information.  I know some people do not like all the things included with the Messenger program; that is why I would suggest using the custon installation option to select the items you want and deselect the one's you don't want.  Also of note; Yahoo server's may think that you already signed on a different pc even when you aren't, the real irritating part is most of the time the user doen't even recieve notice if this is the case unless the are signing in via the Yahoo Messenger.

Virus Trouncer
mijcar

Tech83 wrote:

Hi! All,

I have encountered the same problem upon contacting Yahoo tech support it was discovered that the mail server was having trouble verifying my system's IP Address.  It is Yahoo's security measures that kick in to prevent unauthorized access; for instance I cannot access certain e-mail messages from a different computer with or without an attachment.  I would suggest also downloading from Yahoo their messenger program which provides the e-mail servers the proper IP Address information.  I know some people do not like all the things included with the Messenger program; that is why I would suggest using the custon installation option to select the items you want and deselect the one's you don't want.  Also of note; Yahoo server's may think that you already signed on a different pc even when you aren't, the real irritating part is most of the time the user doen't even recieve notice if this is the case unless the are signing in via the Yahoo Messenger.

I think this is good general advice even though in this case the poster said that the problem was only with attachments.  Nonetheless, it is advice worth trying.

mij