Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Tech83
Topics: 55
Kudos: 168
Solutions: 27

Re: cannot open yahoo mail attachments

[ Edited ]

Hi! All,

I have a question for the poster.  In using a different system was a different ISP used?  I am asking this because there are some ISP's that will block e-mail attachments heading into their servers.  But as Bjm_  stated if the Yahoo account is provided through the ISP it does change things.  (I am paraphrasing Bjm_ no direct quote implied.)

Message Edited by Tech83 on 11-21-2009 12:08 AM
Super Virus Trouncer
bjm_

Hi papasto

Sorry to learn this issue is not going away quietly.  Is Yahoo account  through your ISP or not?  I feel your are convinced there must be a Norton conflict between your resident Norton product and Yahoo Norton.  So, all the Yahoo clients having this issue all must have a resident Norton product.  All the Yahoo clients having this issue have not come knocking at this Forum to my recall.  Yahoo is just ignoring all those unhappy clients.  

Please see > http://suggestions.yahoo.com/detail/?prop=answers&fid=149754

What is version of your NIS10 product.  You have checked email scan settings are at default and you turned off email scan and issue persists.  My reluctance to point to your resident Norton product is just that....Yahoo Norton is Server Side and acts on mail on Yahoo Server.  Your resident Norton acts on files you want to open on your box.  Yahoo mail does not reside anywhere on your box...all mail resides on Yahoo Servers.  Your resident Norton product does not reach out to Yahoo Servers to scan mail.  Yahoo Norton is protecting mail Server Side.   Malware travels with email and is a potential threat upon opening the file on your box that may contain Malware.... when you open an attachment your resident Norton scans for Malware.  There just can not be a conflict with user side Norton and Server side Norton.  The conflict you feel exists would have to exist with any brand Security product.  You're thinking Yahoo Norton and papasto Norton are trying to scan the attached file at the same time and therefore are conflicting and preventing the attachment from opening,  Only papasto Norton is at work when you ask to download an attached file traveling with an email message.  Yahoo does not open the attached file to scan the file.  papasto opens the attached file and your resident Norton product not Yahoo scan for malware.  

Tell me what happens when you attemp to open an attached file.  Tell me what you see...

When did this issue begin.  After you installed NIS10 and how did you install NIS10 and what is the version.  When you contact Yahoo ...what response does Yahoo offer.  Have you contacted Yahoo.  I know this is long winded...I'm trying to imagine what you are experiencing only with Yahoo and not with another web based email account.   Clean out Cookies....check IE8 security at default.  Check IE8 compatibility view setup and tic box 1 and 3 and add Yahoo mail website to Compatibility View.   Are you opening IE8 in privacy mode.  Open IE normal and also try open IE without add-ons.  I really hesitate to point at IE8 because you have same issue with FF.  You can reset IE advanced settings and try opening IE without addons.  I would resist reset IE to default as that is only if browser is unstable.  Change your homepage to http://news.yahoo.com/page/sitemap and link to your yahoo mail from there.  I'm at a loss to offer anything else.  I do not see conflict you perceive with Norton....if it proves to be resident Norton that is causal ??... I cry Uncle now and beg for help from the Forum.

bjm_

Super Virus Trouncer
bjm_

[ Edited ]

Hi papasto et al

Too tired to realize my previous attempt was ...poorly composed.  Very poorly composed.  I was busy composing War and Peace while others had chimed in....thanks, I knew what I wanted to convey...just did not pull it off.   Thanks... Tech83 and mijcar.... I had initially requested if Yahoo was ISP or not ...I tried again in previous reply to papasto....  

Internet security software, including Firewalls, antivirus programs, anti-spyware programs, and others can block certain file downloads. Check the settings in your security software to see if there is an setting that may be blocking downloads.

To diagnose whether Internet security software is causing problems, you can try temporarily disabling it, seeing if downloads work, and then re-enabling the software.

Sorry papasto...I gave it my best shot while Mr. Sandman is working on my gray matter. 

bjm_ 

PS > I appreciate your reluctance to quote me T....I wouldn't even quote me.  My creative writing prof would grade my paper ... F... with comment ~ see me after class young man.  Deja Vu

Message Edited by bjm_ on 11-21-2009 01:19 AM
Super Virus Trouncer
bjm_

[ Edited ]

Hi papasto et al

It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt...

bjm_

Message Edited by bjm_ on 11-21-2009 08:36 AM
Super Virus Trouncer
bjm_

Hi papasto et al

It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt...

Tip: With att.net Mail, effective email virus protection is automatic. Antivirus software in att.net Mail automatically detects and cleans viruses in incoming and outgoing email and attachments.

Thank you papasto ...I offer my apology for running you in circles....now, I know how my web mail works .... I always wondered why my resident Norton never populated notice in system tray.  I have only viewed  att.net Mail Antivirus working....not my resident Norton.... to verify I disabled resident email scan and Antivirus software in att.net Mail scanned my email attachment...

Please be aware, however, that not all viruses can be detected and cleaned. There is a risk involved whenever you download email attachments to your computer or send email attachments to others. As provided in the Terms of Service, neither Yahoo! nor its licensors are responsible for any damages caused by your decision to do so.

As to your issue...my mouth is now closed.... I will now go stand in the corner 

bjm_

Super Virus Trouncer
bjm_

Hi papasto

I came out of the corner just long enough to ask ....did you try turning Off Email Scanning in NIS10....you wrote > turned off norton antivirus ....did you try only turning Off Email/Message Scanning in NIS10

I've searched every where you have...I am ready to rescind my previous comments....the issue may be with NIS10....

I will now go back to standing in the corner....

bjm_

Visitor
papasto

Thanks you all very much for your input (some of it a little to hard to follow :) ) but appreciated  none the less.  The latest is I have UNISTALLED NIS 2010 from my PC, and now all attachments in my my yahoo mail account are OPENING FINE.   So doesn't this tell me for sure that NIS is conficting with Yahoo's Norton??

Any suggestions when I reinstall NIS again (which I want to) what I should be disabling to make sure this conflict stops.

Thanks

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,795
Solutions: 776

Hi papasto,

Are you using OnlineFamily.Norton parental controls?  There is an unresolved issue (not sure if this would also be your issue) with Safety  Minder blocking Yahoo email attachments which is discussed in this thread:

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=OnlineFamily&message.id=2392#M2392

Visitor
papasto

Hi, no I am not using OnlineFamily.Norton parental controls - I know this is an additonal online based parental control that is having problem with yahoo attachments. I am just using the parental controls embedded in NIS 2010.

Thanks

Super Virus Trouncer
bjm_

[ Edited ]
Ooops....back to standing in the corner for me... :smileysad:
Message Edited by bjm_ on 11-21-2009 03:38 PM