Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Spyware Scolder
crisoco8722

Re: ccsvchst Silent Mode & Smart Definitions?

[ Edited ]

I have been doing some further testing and I find that .......

Turning Automatic Updates from Off to Notify but don't automatically download or install them

sets off wuauclt.exe along with svchost.exe to spiral RAM up to 100%.

Changing Automatic Updates immediately back from Notify but don't automatically download or install them to Off 

and RAM settles down back to normal again.

Conclusion

I will keep Start / Control Panel / Automatic Updates turned OFF but ......

leave Services / Automatic Updates on Automatic & Services / BITS on Manual.

In this way wuauclt.exe will occasionally run in the background but with minimum impact on RAM and ......

Update.microsoft.com can be checked for updates manually using Internet Explorer on the 1st & 3rd. Tuesday of each month.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 • Windows 7 Home x32 • Norton Internet Security 2012 • Firefox 22 • NoScript • Opera 12 • Site Advisor • Minimem • Sandboxie • Malwarebytes Free • CCleaner • WinPatrol • TuneUp Utilities 2012 • UltraFileSearch.
lmacri
Kudos: 710

[ Edited ]

crisoco8722 wrote:
I have turned off Automatic Updates, unchecked Automatic Updates under the Services tab in msconfig ...This seems to keep wuauclt.exe from running.

Hi crisoco8722:

I hadn't seen your comments in message # 41 before I had this message ready to go so I'll just go ahead and post.  You still may find some useful information.

For all things related to Windows Services I always check first with the Black Viper web site.  Please read the article here titled Why can't I use msconfig to change services in Windows XP?  Unchecking the box on the Services tab in msconfig next to the Automatic Updates (wuauserv) service will permanently disable this service and you will no longer be able to perform either automatic or manual updates (as you observed in message # 40).  If you need to troubleshoot a services always do so through the Windows Services (type services.msc in the Run command).

Also refer to Black Viper's Windows XP 32-bit SP3 Service Configurations main page here.  There are columns for "Default", "Safe" and "Tweaked" settings, and note that the tweaked configuration for Automatic Updates (wuauserv) is Automatic, while the tweaked configuration for Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS) is Manual.  Please note that these are the settings for 32-bit Win XP SP3 and that settings are different for every OS.

I checked my notes from 2009 when I had a very serious problem where a failed installation of a Windows Vista SP2 patch corrupted my Windows Update and prevented me from downloading any updates from the Microsoft servers.  While I was troubleshooting my problem I temporarily set both my Windows Update and BITS services to Manual startup and I was eventually able to run a manual Windows Updates.  That being said:

• Every time I ran a manual Windows Update (i.e., started the Windows Update Agent), this started the Windows Update service which continued to run in the background until the next time I re-booted my system (or manually stopped the service)
  • I reset my Windows Update and BITS services back to their defaults as soon as I solved my problem
  • I have no idea if the Automatic Updates (wuauserv) service in XP SP3 is identical to the Windows Update (wuauserv) service in Vista SP2 and whether setting the Automatic Updates to a Manual startup will affect any dependent XP services that will fail if Automatic Updates is not started at boot-up

Tweaking your Windows services can be very dangerous, so if Windows Update AutoUpdate Client (wuauclt.exe) continues to cause problems even after the changes you made in message # 41 I would still advise that you post in the BleepingComputer or WhatTheTech forum as I suggested in message # 33 and work with someone with expertise with Win XP to fix the root cause of this problem.

Based ont he information you provided in message # 41, it sounds like it's the Windows Update Agent (WUA) that's hogging the resources on your computer.  There are various instructions on the Internet for re-installing the WUA (see one example here) but I wouldn't try this without assistance from one of the experts in the BleepingComputer or WhatTheTech forum. 

----------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 6.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Super Spyware Scolder
crisoco8722

Thank you lmacri for collating all that information. I am sorry that my posts got crossed with yours.

Turn off Automatic Windows Update

I have bookmarked Black Viper, Bleeping Computer & WhatTheTech for future use. I am already familiar with Bleeping Computer as I use their Hosts lists along with MVPS & hpHosts in HostsMan. The other links are also look extemely useful.

When I have Automatic Updates turned off I am not convinced that there is anything seriously wrong with the Windows Update Agent. I tested a manual update this morning (UK time) and everthing went perfectly smoothly.

wuauclt.exe ran without hogging all resouces and even closed down after it was finished.

wscntfy.exe placed a security icon in the task bar to alert XP users at each logon that Automatic Updates are turned off.

I accept that there could be a problem with the Windows Update Agent when Automatic Updates are turned back on again and this can produce an abnormal spike in memory usage. For that reason I shall keep updates switched off for now. It is of course possible that there is some other program which could be causing a conflict. I have heard of cases where the Norton Removal Tool has broken other programs and also the Roxio Updater being incompatible with NIS 2011.

I will carry out some further tests in a few months with Automatic Updates turned on to see if there is any improvement.

Scheduling Windows Updates via Windows / Accessories / System Tools

In message #39 I made this comment .......

What I really meant was not using Microsoft Updates to do this but to schedule it myself. On second thoughts I can see that would not be possible.

I have been doing some further research and I am pleased to announce that what I had in mind was in fact possible after all.This was how I achieved it.......

Open Internet Explorer and set Tools / Internet Options / Home Page to ....... 

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

In XP open Scheduled Tasks / Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Scheduled Tasks.

Set the task to run C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Set the time: I set this to run every Tuesday at 11pm

There was just one little hiccup. Apparently Microsoft messed up Administrator Rights installing SP2 and the following error message now appears ....

An error has occurred while attempting to set task account information. The specific error is: 0×80070005 : Access is denied. You do not have permission to perform the requested operation.

There was a hotfix put out but you have to contact Microsoft for it. An easier workaround was to simply tick the box in the Task tab

run only if logged on

I tested it and it all works much more efficiently than Automatic Updates originally did for me. It will save me a lot of trouble, as the security icon that got diplayed by Microsoft in the task bar when updates were available sometimes did not disappear when they had all been installed (yet another thing that doesn't work), so I had to ignore it and open IE8 anyway to get them downloaded. Microsoft themselves did fix this for me some time ago but the problem re-occured.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 • Windows 7 Home x32 • Norton Internet Security 2012 • Firefox 22 • NoScript • Opera 12 • Site Advisor • Minimem • Sandboxie • Malwarebytes Free • CCleaner • WinPatrol • TuneUp Utilities 2012 • UltraFileSearch.
lmacri

[ Edited ]

Hi crisoco8722:

I just wanted you to know that I've sent a private message (PM) to one of the tech gurus and asked them to review some of your posts.

I still think that you might have an underlying problem with your Windows Update Agent (WUA) installation, but it's also possible that your automatic Windows Updates and/or the BITS service is competing with NIS 2012 for available network bandwidth (per Symantec employee Avani Patel's post here about the known bug in NIS 2012 where background Norton idletime tasks continue to run after some systems are taken out of idle mode).  I'm hoping that your high CPU utilization and sluggish system performance will improve once Symantec releases a product update for NIS 2012 to fix the bug.

-----------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 6.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

lmacri

[ Edited ]

Hi crisoco8722:

... and regarding your comment in message # 43 about adding tasks manually in the Windows Tasks Scheduler, if you schedule updates from the Windows Update settings in XP (Start | Control Panel | System and click the Automatic Updates tab - see Microsoft support article here), I think the end result is still the same - the task will still be added to the Task Scheduler. I can't be absolutely certain about that, but that's usually thay it works in Vista.

The problem I had with my own Windows Update error (see message # 42) was eventually traced back to corrupted Administrator permissions for folders and registry entries.  It's possible that your Windows Update problems are related to Administrator permissions as well.

--------

Super Spyware Scolder
crisoco8722

lmacri wrote:

Hi crisoco8722:

I just wanted you to know that I've sent a private message (PM) to one of the tech gurus and asked them to review some of your posts.

I still think that you might have an underlying problem with your Windows Update Agent (WUA) installation, but it's also possible that your automatic Windows Updates and/or the BITS service is competing with NIS 2012 for available network bandwidth (per Symantec employee Avani Patel's post here about the known bug in NIS 2012 where background Norton idletime tasks continue to run after some systems are taken out of idle mode).  I'm hoping that your high CPU utilization and sluggish system performance will improve once Symantec releases a product update for NIS 2012 to fix the bug.

-----------

... and regarding your comment in message # 43 about adding tasks manually in the Windows Tasks Scheduler, if you schedule updates from the Windows Update settings in XP (Start | Control Panel | System and click the Automatic Updates tab - see Microsoft support article here), I think the end result is still the same - the task will still be added to the Task Scheduler. I can't be absolutely certain about that, but that's usually thay it works in Vista.

Thanks Imacri.

I hope that Norton manage to solve this issue. I look forward to a release through LiveUpdate.

I don't normally upgrade quite so quickly so as to avoid problems like this.

With regard to Task Scheduler it is not possible to use the Automatic Windows Update Service to do this because Automatic Updates have to be enabled and that also means having it fully automatic (automatic downloaded and installed without notification) which defeats the purpose of switching off Automatic Updates. Perhaps Microsoft has changed this in Vista.

lmacri

[ Edited ]

Hi crisoco8722:

I've had some feedback from the forum guru about your problems.  They use Windows XP SP3 with 1.25 GB of RAM and mentioned that about 650 MB of RAM is used by programs loading at startup when they check their memory usage in Process Explorer or Windows Task Manager (see message # 9), and that this jumps up to 850 or 900 after Firefox has been running for awhile.  One possibility is that resource-intensive processes like wuauclt.exe are not consuming any more CPU or RAM on your system than other XP users but that it impacts your system more because you only have 1 GB RAM.  You might also want to re-visit message # 26 about different ways that your can free up RAM on your system.

The same guru also mentioned that an impending hard drive death will begin with inexplicable errors and problems caused by the inability to read parts of the drive, and suggested that you backup all your important personal data to external media in case the problems gets worse.

I've added a few extra troubleshooting and diagnostic tips below that you may or may not have already tried that could also be helpful.

A.  Create a New System Restore Point

If you haven't done so lately, create a new system restore system point just in case your Windows OS suffers a serious failure and you need a stable restore point to roll back to.  BleepingComputer has an excellent XP tutorial called the Windows XP System Restore Guide here.  In Vista I go to Start | Control Panel | System | System Protection and click on the System Protection tab of the System Properties window, and before I click the Create button to create a new restore point, Windows will display the date of the last restore point saved on my your system.

B.  Scan Your System for Missing Security Patches with Secunia OSI

If you have the 32-bit Java JRE installed on your computer (test your Java browser plugins here) you can use Secunia's Online Software Inspector (OSI) to see if you have the latest security patches for your software.  A basic scan will only check your browser add-ons but a thorough system inspection will test several software programs, including your Windows OS.  Make sure you disable the Display only insecure programs options if you want to see a complete lists of all the software that OSI scanned.

You might see an error message if OSI has a problem connecting to the Microsoft Update server from your browser.

The system requirements here state that OSI is only certified to work with IE8 and Firefox 3.6 but I use IE9 and Firefox 6 and OSI runs correctly with the latest Java (currently Java 6 Update 27) on my Vista system.

C.  Check Your Hard Drive for Errors with CheckDisk (chkdsk /f /r)

See the Microsoft support article here titled How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP.  If you use Method 1 with the command prompt, the command chkdsk (or chkdsk /f) will run a quick check of your Windows file system but the command chkdsk /r will run a more thorough scan of your hard drive and attempt to recover files found in damaged sectors.

The instructions are almost identical for Vista, but when I use Method 1 I always use an elevated command prompt with Administrator rights (Start | All Programs | Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator").

ChkDsk Command Prompt.jpg

ChkDsk Error Check.jpg

Chkdsk will be scheduled to run the next time you boot up your computer, and if your computer finishes booting before you have a chance to view the chkdsk results, the results are stored in the Wininit logs in the Windows Event Viewer (Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Event Viewer).  Go to Windows Logs | Application and scroll down until you see an event with the source "Wininit" with the approximate date and time you ran your chkdsk.  I'm not certain but I believe this will work in both Win XP and Vista.

D.  Check Your Windows System Files with System File Checker (sfc /scannow)

System File Checker (SFC) checks that all your system files are in the correct location on your hard drive and are not corrupted, changed or damaged. SFC can sometimes repair damaged system files  (Windows usually keeps a "fresh" backup copy of important system files somewhere in a hidden folder in C:\Windows that SFC can use for repairs), so if you ever suspect that you might have a problem with your operating system and CheckDisk (chkdsk) doesn't solve the problem, then I would always recommend running SFC before doing anything as drastic as a system restore.

There is a XP tutorial here on how to run SFC from the Run command, but I prefer to run SFC from an elevated command prompt (see Section C).  The command sfc /verifyonly will run a diagnosis (I believe this switch works in XP) and sfc /scannow will diagnose and try to repair any corrupt system files.  If SFC does find a serious problem you might be prompted to insert your original XP installation CD - if you don't have one, select Cancel to exit SFC without attempting the repairs.

Some people even recommend that you start your computer in Safe Mode before running SFC.

E.  Check Your Microsoft .NET Framework

Some of the issues you're seeing can sometimes be caused by a problem with the Microsoft .NET Framework.   If you have the Microsoft .NET Framework installed on your system (it's normally delivered via Windows Update as an optional download), ensure you have the latest version of the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant extension in your Firefox browser and that the extension is enabled.  Then run the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool (on Aaron Stebner's MSDN blog here) to check the functionality of the full .NET Framework.

Firefox MS NET Framework.jpg

-------------

Super Spyware Scolder
crisoco8722

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Imacri for reporting back from the guru. Your comprehensive report was extremely well documented and proved to be very helpful while running the various tests.

I've had some feedback from the forum guru about your problems.  They use Windows XP SP3 with 1.25 GB of RAM and mentioned that about 650 MB of RAM is used by programs loading at startup .... and that this jumps up to 850 or 900 after Firefox has been running for awhile.

Running Windows XP SP3 1GB RAM with all my modifications in place and with Firefox 7 running all day the memory usage is only 650mb. I no longer have to re-load Firefox to reclaim memory.

One possibility is that resource-intensive processes like wuauclt.exe are not consuming any more CPU or RAM on your system than other XP users but that it impacts your system more because you only have 1 GB RAM.

I accept that wuauclt.exe would not normally consume excessive CPU or RAM but on my system it is obvious that some program processes are not configured or are not running correctly and are conflicting with other processes and hence are using excessive resources. I have measures in place like I have previously indicated and CPU and RAM are now at an acceptable level. As I explained it is Automatic Windows Update Service that causes the problems.

The first test of my automated Windows Update using Task Scheduler ran at 11pm today UK time and it worked a treat. CPU & RAM were within acceptable limits.

....... different ways that your can free up RAM on your system.

I now have all these measures in place and RAM usage is at an all time low.

Create a New System Restore Point

I no longer use System Restore because it has never really worked properly and I do like the fact that viruses can be duplicated in the restore system. If the worst comes to the worst I will use the PC Angel restore facility which was installed by my computer supplier. I have backups for other parts of the system anyway so that I can recover everything should the need arise including all my files and browser settings etc.

Scan Your System for Missing Security Patches with Secunia OSI

Secunia OSI has always refused to run with either Firefox, IE8 or Opera so I do not use it. I have the latest Java and it is all set up properly and running.

Check Your Hard Drive for Errors with CheckDisk

I ran a simple check using Check Now under Local Disc C / Properties but rediculous as may sound it ran but produced no result. It just said completed. I ran the cmd C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk and it found errors in the file system so I ran C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /f and at boot up it confirmed that it had corrected these errors but when I tried to run the cmd again to make sure that there were still no errors it would not accept the command. It just kept saying ......

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk was not recognised as an internal or external command. Having a space and /f after chkdsk produced the same error message.

I have had problems like this before and to be honest I was surprised that the command C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /f ran the first time around.

I don't know what these file errors were but it seems like chkdsk has only removed unused entries rather than corrected anything. It would have been helpful if Microsoft had said what the errors were. (see next comment)

Chkdsk will be scheduled to run the next time you boot up your computer ...... the results are stored in the Wininit logs in the Windows Event Viewer

In Windows XP the results are actually stored in the Event Viewer under Application / Winlogin.

This was the result .........

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                        
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 4438 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 4438 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 4438 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

192860293 KB total disk space.
  23522132 KB in 84320 files.
     37536 KB in 9567 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    243297 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 169057328 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  48215073 total allocation units on disk.
  42264332 allocation units available on disk.

Check Your Windows System Files with System File Checker (sfc /scannow)

I have used this in the past but I have been reluctant to run it again, mainly because I do not really understand the process. It always asks for the original Windows disc and I was never very sure if it would actually have required the SP3 disc that I obtained from Microsoft. I always have in my mind that when it finds a missing file that it will re-install an older version from the Original Disc and undo what has been applied during any one of the Windows KB updates.

Check Your Microsoft .NET Framework ..... run the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool

A great little checking tool. It checked all the .NET versions up to 4 and they were all OK.

.... ensure you have the latest version of the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant extension in your Firefox browser

I do not run ClickOnce applications so I do not see the need to install this add-on. It has been a security risk in the past. Microsoft has listened to users and on the face of it now seems to be fine but it's not for me.

lmacri

[ Edited ]

crisoco8722 wrote:

The first test of my automated Windows Update using Task Scheduler ran at 11pm today UK time and it worked a treat. CPU & RAM were within acceptable limits.

Secunia OSI has always refused to run with either Firefox, IE8 or Opera so I do not use it. I have the latest Java and it is all set up properly and running.

I ran a simple check using Check Now under Local Disc C / Properties but rediculous as may sound it ran but produced no result. It just said completed. I ran the cmd C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk and it found errors in the file system so I ran C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /f and ... it would not accept the command. It just kept saying ......

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk was not recognised as an internal or external command.

I have used (SFC) in the past but I have been reluctant to run it again...  It always asks for the original Windows disc ... I always have in my mind that when it finds a missing file that it will re-install an older version from the Original Disc and undo what has been applied during any one of the Windows KB updates.

Hi crisoco8722:

Here's a few more thoughts about the comments in your last post.

A.  Windows Update Task in Task Scheduler

Glad to hear the Windows Update task you created in Task Scheduler worked. Based on your findings I'd have to guess that the Windows Update AutoUpdate Client (wuauclt.exe) is linked the Windows Update Agent (wua) and runs independently of the Automatic Updates (wuauserv) service that starts automatically at boot-up.  Just keep an eye on your Event Viewer (Applications and Service Logs | Microsoft | Windows | WindowsUpdateClient | Operational) as described in message # 35 to ensure wuauclt.exe is only throwing errors on Tuesdays (or whatever day you have your Windows Update scheduled to run).

B.  Secunia OSI Failure

The software requirements for OSI here state that OSI requires the latest version of Microsoft Update and provides a link to test your connection.

The Windows Update error 0×80070005 you mentioned in message # 43 is likely related to corrupted Administrator rights (see the Microsoft support article here).  You didn't mention what error message you're getting when you run OSI, but this might be another indication that you're having problems connecting to the Microsoft Update server because your user profile is corrupted or the permissions on your Windows Update files/folders and/or registry entries are corrupted.  This could manifest itself as an error in your Event Viewer - in Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs | Setup and look for errors with the source WUSA.  If you click on View Update History from your Windows Update GUI, you might also notice updates with a status of Failed or may even notice that Windows Update has recently stopped delivering updates for "other" Microsoft products installed on your system like Microsoft Works, Microsoft Silverlight, etc. that are not part of your core Windows OS.

Please note that the instructions for running SubInALC in the Microsoft support article to fix Administrators rights is essentially the solution I used to fix my own Windows Update problem in Win Vista (see my post in the WhatTheTech forum here) but I wouldn't try this without consulting with someone with advance tech expertise with XP.  There may be a much simpler solution, like an in-situ Windows repair with your Win XP SP3 CD.

C.  Chkdsk Failure

This one's easier to explain.  The Microsoft support article for chkdsk here says in part that "Chkdsk corrects logical disk errors only if you specify the /f parameter. Chkdsk must be able to lock the drive to correct errors... If you run chkdsk without the /f parameter on an active partition, it might report spurious errors because it cannot lock the drive.

I would suggest that you always select both options for chkdsk as shown below (or use the command chkdsk /f /r from an elevated command prompt) and answer "Yes" when you receive the message Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  This will ensure that chkdsk runs during your next boot-up before your Windows OS finishes loading, allowing chkdsk to complete any necessary repairs.

Check Disk Local Disk.jpg

D.  System File Checker in Diagnostic Mode (sfc /verifyonly)

I agree, it's too bad all your Wininit log for chkdsk said was Windows has made corrections to the file system - that's not particularly informative.

If SFC has asked for your installation CD when you ran sfc /scannnow in the past then this indicates a definite, and possibly serious, problem with your Windows OS.  If you're really lucky, chkdsk may have been able to fix the problem.

Did you try running SCF in an elevated command prompt in diagnotic mode with the sfc /verifyonly command (see message # 47)?  This should only report what files need fixing without actually attempting to repair the files. Again, this works in Vista and I'm not certain the /verifyonly switch works in XP, but you can check the help files for sfc from the command prompt (i.e., sfc /?) to see if this is a valid switch on your OS.  SFC has never found a problem on my system so I can't tell you if it would try to re-install older versions of your Win XP files from your factory installation instead of your newer SP3 versions (I've always wondered that myself), but I'll let you know if I find the answer.

See these links for additional information on SFC:
http://www.winvistatips.com/repair-corrupt-vista-files-t133839.html
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747
-------------

Super Spyware Scolder
crisoco8722

Secunia OSI Failure

OSI is not giving any error message it just does not run. I have never been able to find out why it will not run.

corrupted Administrator rights

I do not believe that I have corruption of Administration Rights. Connection to the update server works perfectly and last nights update of some 50mb of multiple files downloaded and installed perfectly. There were updates for .NET Framework, XP security, Outlook etc

..... This could manifest itself as an error in your Event Viewer - in Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs | Setup and look for errors with the source WUSA.  If you click on View Update History from your Windows Update GUI

I am not really following you here. I think it is because the Event Viewer setup for XP is different to Vista. There are no Windows Logs or source WUSA. Anyway I cannot find anything untoward in the error logs.

When I run a simple chkdsk (like double clicking the file itself) all I want to do is look up the log somewhere but a log does not seem to exist. Winlogin is the only log in Event Viewer and that was for the boot scan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

..... Windows Update has recently stopped delivering updates for "other" Microsoft products installed on your system like Microsoft Works, Microsoft Silverlight, etc. that are not part of your core Windows OS.

Microsoft updates for all other products download and install perfectly. There is not a problem with that.

Chkdsk Failure

It isn't a checkdsk failure but a failure to recognise any command prompt. Windows accepted the command prompt the first time around but has not accepted it since.

If I double click the chkdsk file in Windows / system32 / chkdsk it will run perfectly well but the command prompt to run it refuses to work.

System File Checker sfc /scannow

I tried running a scan from Start / Run / Open / sfc /scannow and this answers my question regarding what CD it requires as it ran, but 20% in asked for the Windows XP Home SP3 CD. I inserted it but then it said it was the wrong CD! I skipped that and then again at 60% it again asked for the same CD. I aborted it at that stage.

sfc /verifyonly will not work.

Windows XP Home SP3 CD Message with Scannow.jpg

Windows XP Home SP3 CD Message with Scannow - Wrong CD.jpg