Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
sonicdivx

ccsvchst.exe cpu usage Issue

Yes the infamous ccsvchst.exe  cpu usage issue.  I am running into a situation where on my Windows XP Pro laptop it will occasionally run at about 50% cpu until I  1.  leave system on for days or 2. run a full system scan.

I believe the issue stems from removable drives both real and ghost.  I have tried unchecking the scan removable setting but that setting always comes back checked when I reboot.  This is a clean install of Win XP Pro on a system that had a previous install. 

At first thought issue was because some files had unknown SIDs, I fixed all of that and even when it was not fixed the cpu issue would go away and come back.  I also notice that on occasion it will happen coming out of Hibernate.

Since this is a laptop this is a serious issue as it causes my system to run slow, hot and kills the battery.  I am getting pretty frustrated and firmly believe there is a flaw with ccsvchst as this type of problem does not occur with AVG or Zone Alarm.  Oh I am running NIS 2008. Also I have uninstalled and used the Norton Removal Tool  both twice and still get the same thing.

Lastly the service that has issues is the version of ccsvshst.exe running under SYSTEM user. Logs do not show anything unusual.

Thanks

Contributor
John_Iru

Re: ccsvchst.exe cpu usage Issue

To confirm that this is not a virus issue try disabling Norton nad check CPU usage.If this does not work try uninstalling and reinstalling Norton.
Contributor
sonicdivx

I doubt its a virus. As just 20 minutes ago I finished a Full Scan and it dropped to 0% cpu shortly thereafter.

Then I closed the lid and my laptop went into hibernation. Once shutdown, I unplugged my External usb HD, USB flash drive. USB Data card, and USB phone cable.

20 minutes later opened up and restored out of hibernation. cpu usage jump to 50% area and has stayed there (no periphals plugged in , except USB Data Card)  Ran a quick scan and that did nothing.

Contributor
John_Iru

[ Edited ]

What I came to know of your problem is, your Norton may have some problems.Completely remove Norton by running the removal tool from www.symantec.com/symnrt. Reinstall Norton.Your problem should be solved.

Keep your fingers crossed......

Message Edited by Tony_Weiss on 08-01-2008 01:06 PM
Symantec Employee
matt_phillips

Hello sonicdivx,

When you do the reinstall, make sure you have install the latest version. There were a number of under-the-hood fixes related to hibernation. You can get it here.

Thanks,

Matt 

Contributor
sonicdivx

Matt,

How do I check what version I am running now?  Doing install in just a few.

Symantec Employee
matt_phillips

Hi sonicdivx,

You can confirm the version by clicking on the Help & Support link in the main product UI. In the One Click Support dialog that emerges, click About, then click the Norton Internet Security tab. You can download the latest version (15.5.0.23) here.

Thanks,

Matt

Contributor
sonicdivx

Matt,

I just installed the latest version this morning. I previously did an uninstall then used the Norton Removal tool.

Right now as I type the SYSTEM process is show 45-50% CPU and 100MB usage.

Now I just made 3 changes to settings.

Uncheck Scan removable drives when connected (on a laptop and usually plug/unplug 2-3 devices throughout the day)

Uncheck Scan inside compressed files

Check Scan Microsoft documents

Exclude VM files (run VMware and ShadowProtect)

My current system is a clean install of Win XP Pro but not a format of drive. That means that I had files which have / had orphaned SIDs.  I had thought I had changed them all, but found some more this morning.  Does this impact scanning?

Lastly, for me If I had some idea of how it deals with scanning I might be able to narrow down the issue.  I am not a typical user, as I do a lot of development and consulting work , so often have a wide swath of applications installed/uninstalled. I also run things like Windowblinds, VM, Altiris SVS, etc...

Thanks

Symantec Employee
matt_phillips

Hi sonicdivx,

I've sent you a forum email with additional instructions.

Thanks,

Matt

Contributor
sonicdivx

Matt,

Shortly after receiving the email, I tried things mentioned even though not running 360. No luck.

Well its saturday and just let the laptop sit overnight with just my external Hard drive plugged in and all is fine now. That said problem is probably still there as this is typical behaviour. Come monday I'll post if anything changes.

Kevin