Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
smokeringhalo

ccsvchst.exe still on after using removal tool

Hello

I have been trying to remove Norton Antivirus for some time now due to it's high resource usage which cripples my PC. I have only a single core processor & Norton was using up to 35% (extreme fluctuation spikes) of the cpu at idle with live protect turned off & quiet mode on.

This is completely unacceptable to me so I've run the Norton removal tool twice and yet ccsvchst.exe is still running. I am the only user of my computer and yet I cannot shut off of disable the Norton Identity Safe service which denies me access.

How can I remove ccsvchst.exe / Norton identity safe service once and for all? Thanks.

Visitor
smokeringhalo

Re: ccsvchst.exe still on after using removal tool

No one at Norton forums seems to know how to completely remove Norton?

Perhaps I should mention that since I used the removal tool to remove the product, any user agreement  license for the Norton antivirus product is now null and void, and Symantec is now liable for any remaining product left on my computer.

I find products leaving behind services that deny access to those with administrative privileges to be of suspicious intent.

Edjr60

Hi smokeringhalo,

Are there instances of ccsvchst.exe in task manager. If so, are there two under all users. When you removed Norton Anti-Virus, did you follow this procedure in the order listed.

Uninstall NAV from Control Panel.

Reboot the Computer.

Run the Norton Removal Tool found here ... http://www.norton.com/nrt

Reboot the Computer again.

Ed

Visitor
smokeringhalo

Yes, there are instances of ccsvchst.exe in the task manager.

No, I did not follow that procedure, having only used the Removal Tool, not the control panel uninstall.

Please advise whether I should do so now.

yank
Kudos: 2,155
Solutions: 501

smokeringhalo wrote:

Yes, there are instances of ccsvchst.exe in the task manager.

No, I did not follow that procedure, having only used the Removal Tool, not the control panel uninstall.

Please advise whether I should do so now.

Hi smokeringhalo,

Please go to the Control Panel and see if NAV still exsists. 

If it does, uninstall it, reboot and then run the Norton Removal Tool again, reboot and see if the ccsvchst.exe still exsist in Task Manager. 

If NAV does not exsist in the Control Panel, reinstall NAV, then uninstall via the Control Panel, reboot and then run the NRT, reboot and check Task Manager.

I know it sounds crazy, but there are times that an uninstall can become corrupted and it can only be fixed by reinstalling the product and then trying a complete uninstall again. 

Please keep us posted.