Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
kahilliard
Accepted Solution

conflict with internet explorer and NIS 2009?

Thought I would check this forum, as I'm wondering if our NIS 2009 has caused a conflict of Internet Explorer 8. My OS is XP, and last week we got the auto update of IE 8 (I didn't have Norton disabled at the time.) After that, IE has been a mess--no menu toolbar is showing, unable to use Ctrl-T function (no tab windows). I uninstalled IE 8 and went back to IE 7, but the problem is still there, even after a system restore to before the IE 8 install.

Has anyone had experience with this happening? If I have used all 3 of the installs of the NIS 2009 (3 different computers), will I be unable to reinstall it if I do uninstall it (I know I need to do a custom uninstall if I do it)?

Thank you for any help!

dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,292
Solutions: 263

Re: conflict with internet explorer and NIS 2009?

kahilliard -

You can uninstall and reinstall NIS2009 on the same machine without any problems.  Norton allows for this to handle these kinds of problems and others (hard drive crashes, etc) .  You can download the latest version of NIS2009 from here for use in the reinstall. 

One thing to try before uninstalling is to reset IE back to defaults and see if the functions return.  This is under Tools > Internet Options > Advanced. 

Let us know how this works for you.  Thanks.

Win7 x32 SP1 NIS 21.1.0.18
Visitor
kahilliard

Thanks for the advice about being able to reinstall the NIS again, because I will do that. I can't change the options in IE because I can't even get to the Tools (part of the problem).
dbrisendine

If IE is on your desktop, you can right click on it and choose Properties.  This will take you to the same place as the Tools menu.  Try this first.
Visitor
kahilliard

Doh, I wondered why I hadn't tried that. Had to go to my husband's user desktop (this is mainly for him, the IE user, anyway) to find IE on the desktop. Unfortunately, when I try to go to properties (several times) nothing happens. I can open it from there and get the "skeleton" browser screen, but can't get to properties. Back to the NIS option, although I won't be able to get to that for a few hours. Thank you for your help--I will be back one way or the other to report on results.
dbrisendine

When you click the Start Menu, is IE  locked on top of the Start Menu?  If you right click there, do you get the Browse Without Add-ins option?  Try that please.

Temp Start Menu.png

Visitor
kahilliard

When I opened IE on the start menu, I can get the general, shortcut and compatibility tabs. Will try to attach screenshots of the general and compatibility tabs. Compatibility is grayed out, as you can see. I can't use the start menu to open IE without add-ons. I couldn't do a screenshot of the options, but the top one is Open and the second one is Run as (another user).
Visitor
kahilliard

Interestingly enough, the third option in IE is "Norton Internet Security", and when I select that, it asks if I want to scan now, and opens up NIS. They seem to be melded.
dbrisendine

It seems that your desktop icon for IE has been changed to a regular shortcut.  The best thing to do is the reinstall IE.

Version 8 for XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=341c2ad5-8c3d-4347-8c03-08cdecd8852b&displa...

Version 7 for XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9AE91EBE-3385-447C-8A30-081805B2F90B&displa...

This should clear up the IE problem.  You will most likely have to reinstall the Browser Add-ons after the install (some but not all).

Visitor
kahilliard

Thanks--will give it a try.